Featured Help with card album please

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Marie Forjan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, I found this album at the flea market and am wondering if it is worth trying to sell. I would like to put it up on eBay but the condition of the spine and some of the cards (where they rubbed against each other) is not good.

I am posting some photos to give an idea of what is inside, there are a total of 150 cards pasted into the album.

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated :)

AlbumCover.jpg

This looks like an original etching:
    Print.jpg

Spread1.jpg
    Spread2.jpg
    Spread3.jpg
    Spread4.jpg
    Spread5.jpg
    Spread6.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I wouldn't sell it but if I did it would go as is.
    I LOVE it!

3. Marie Forjan

I love it too, and there are some really nice old cards. But they are all glued in and I don't know if that presents a problem :(

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Have they glued them to both sides of the pages or are the backs of the pages blank?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

The backs seem to be blank. Most of the cards are 1 page, some are multiple and the backs are glued so I can open them. Does this make sense?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

Yes. I thought they were postcards at first.

7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

If the backs are blank with no cards stuck to them they will fetch a bit more because some people like to re mount them or use them for Decoupage projects.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Are the cards all blank? It looks like a salesman's sample book in which case you'd want to leave it as is.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Hi Bev, I don't think a salesman's sample, I think someone just collected cards they liked. It has the feeling of an amateur collection. Since they are all glued down unless I start soaking them off the pages there is no way for me to be positive there is nothing written on the backs.

If you want to look at it I can bring it by for you to see :happy:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

These trade card and scrap albums were popular during Victorian times. They are quite collectible and used to bring good money on ebay (have not looked lately, since mine was sold there many years ago). Contents and subject matter would determine price.

Those that buy these albums to sell the items individually soak them off the page. Here is a link explaining that:
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Succ...rapbooks-/10000000006898799/g.html?rmvSB=true

But.....you may already know this.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

No, no, no. DO not bring it by. You know what will happen. I'll want to keep it.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Whoever put it together had a nice eye for composition and put like cards together in a pleasing manner.

I would sell as a whole.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

I am the side of selling as it is presented; there are some buyers who purchase these collections to take each/certain cards out and collect or sell individually. Then the other side, which enjoys 'the story' in which each page was carefully presented. And just the pages you have shown, were put together carefully by the original owner. A nice presentation album.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. KingofThings

That would be how I would leave it. :)
    I have a few old scrapbooks packed away that I've picked up here and there but I haven't seen any in a long time now. :(
    Every such book I see now is stripped out with the loss of all the memories that went into it. :(

FunkeysFinds likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

OK Bev, I won't torture you ;)

Thank you everyone! I searched everything I could think of on eBay and couldn't find comparables. Now, with your help, I searched for "Victorian Trade Cards Album" I found a whole bunch and have a better idea of how to list this. I was searching for "greeting cards" since they are Christmas and Easter cards etc., that is what slipped me up!

KingofThings and FunkeysFinds like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, I didn't realize that these are trade cards and not greeting cards. Or maybe a mix, where you have both in the album? Trade cards have advertising on the back, and sometimes on the front, too, promoting a certain business or product, or both. And I understand that there are people who collect those. They are different from greeting cards, which tend to be more the holiday cards and other cards that one would send to one's friends and family.

Although... I just looked at the link that Charlotte posted to the eBay guide, and the author of that does not make the same distinction that I just did.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Thank you Figtree3 :joyful:

I think I will call it Victorian Trade Card Greeting Card Album. But first I will try to peek at some of the backs (if the glue will let me) to make sure some do have advertising on them.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

OMG! I put it up and within 5 minutes it was sold!!!

Thank you everyone for your help :joyful:

20. Figtree3

Congratulations!

Draft saved Draft deleted