Featured Help with Cat Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Aug 16, 2021.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I'm trying to figure out what is in the cut-out parts of the cat, I've asked the seller (2 days ago) and they haven't replied. Close-ups make me wonder if maybe wood? I can't find others using image search, hoping someone here might be familiar with them. This is 1". It looks like maybe 2 pieces joined together?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    238980194_1787209898148445_1030148111555068553_n.jpeg
    239279178_1787210031481765_8689583234706155298_n-1.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The front was wriggle engraved,the inside looks like it was textured and patina applied.

cxgirl, judy, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am not a joolie or a cat person, but it sort of reminds me of the JJ or J&J pins. Probably all wrong with that guess.

cxgirl, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

JJ always made costume. The way the clasp is done on this and the wriggle work would make me think somewhere in the former Soviet Union - Ukraine, one of the Baltic states, somewhere like that. It's not American at any rate.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

How about a clear profile (thickness) picture??? Interesting texture in the darker spaces.....& looks like a definite 'A' in the nose hole & star in it's LEFT eye!:happy:

238980194_1787209898148445_XX2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    KSW, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Wriggle engraving does not indicate a specific region of the world.Many engravers world wide wriggle engrave.

KSW, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cute cat, cx.:) No idea of the origin though. I don't think the style is specific to a country or region.
    The 925 mark is generic, as opposed to Soviet Union or Baltic marks, which include official assay marks.
    Yes, it is 2 pieces of silver joined together, usually called 'overlay'. Who'd have thunk.:playful:
    Is that a C-clasp?

KSW, cxgirl, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for all the replies folks:)
    thank-you pearls, I've never heard of JJ/J7J, will look them up:)

thank-you Aquitaine:) I'll be picking this up today so will be able to provide more photos later. Wow, you have great eyes, I can see the 'A' now that you mention it:)

I think it is 2 pieces too, but the seller messaged me and said it is only one piece, so I'll guess we'll see when I pick it up. Also will be able to see the clasp better. Looks like a seam along the edge of the tail.
    I would never have thought of this being called 'overlay', thanks for that:)
    238980194_1787209898148445_1030148111555068553_n.jpeg

9. Any Jewelry

It is two layers 'sweated' together to form one piece. The two layers were decorated separately before they were put together.

10. Any Jewelry

This video of a Hopi silversmith will give you an idea of the technique:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    KSW, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 1 other person like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, thank-you AJ, that is an excellent video, I had no idea how much work is involved in the process:)

thanks Aquitaine:) sure looks like an 'A' in the photo, but looking at it with a magnifying glass, nothing is there.
    here are a couple of side views, you can see a bit of a seam by the cheek of the cat:)
    DSCF9238.jpeg
    DSCF9220.jpeg

KSW, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Hollyblue

These are overlay I made a number of years ago.

celtic1.jpg

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SURE LOOKS like it's 2 layers!!!!!!!!!!! If you want, I can post what I marked up, but I don't need to....everyone has it called as overlay already!! Still a cute pin too!!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    cxgirl, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Nicely made, Holly, I especially like those Book of Kells men.

Draft saved Draft deleted