Help with ceiling lamp

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jbm, Mar 22, 2017.

1. jbm

jbm New Member

I am still trying to clean out my house preparing to sell it and am trying to determine items worth keeping. I really like this lamp but my wife is not real crazy about it. It has been hanging in this house for at least 30 years but other than that I know nothing about it. Can anyone here help me identify it? Is it something worth keeping?
    Thanks! IMG_1553a.jpg IMG_1554a.jpg IMG_1555a.jpg

judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like it.
    If you think you could use it again I'd keep it.
    I would NOT just throw it out.

judy likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like a 1920s slag glass lamp.The dragon cutouts are interesting,but that color could be a hard sell. That being said,I like it too.

4. jbm

jbm New Member

Wow! 1920's? I had no idea that it could be that old. There are no markings on it so is is possible to tell who may have made it and what the possible value may be? I am trying to build a case for my wife that we should put it in our new home opposed to just generic new fixtures. Thanks again for the help!

5. KingofThings

A guess of mine so wait for others....
    ~
    You looked literally everywhere for marks or labels?

judy likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

Please bear in mind thats just a guess,it could be a later copy of that style.Im an amateur,wait for some real experts to venture an opinion. :)

7. jbm

jbm New Member

Here are some more photos with a flash. IMG_1556a.jpg IMG_1557a.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting. The style is older but I think this is a newer version. Maybe 70s or so. Have not seen one quite like this.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Let your wife have her way.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Happy wife...happy life......nice lamp....

judy, Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  11. KingofThings

Long ago, when I collected dragons, I would've gone berserk over this....
    Now I'm just liking it. :)

judy likes this.
  12. jbm

jbm New Member

Looks like the wife may win:( I guess that it will just stay hanging where it is, I just needed to know so I could go to the local Lowe's and buy another light to hang before putting the house on the market with a realtor. Thanks again for the help, and I am really enjoying this forum.

Houseful and KingofThings like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Next to last image....can you identify what that mark is below the dragons???? Makers mark maybe????? It does have kind of a Mission style look to me....

KingofThings likes this.
  14. jbm

jbm New Member

Here is a photo of the interior of lamp (I like photos), is there any way to accurately date this? IMG_1559ab.jpg

15. jbm

jbm New Member

I think that is just solder or whatever was used to hold it together, there are spots like that in on other panels of the lamp also.

Dukewright likes this.
  16. KingofThings

99% certain the new owners will trash it. :(
    Take it down...
    Take it to Habitat for Humanity...
    ...and buy another.

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I cropped & edited your image (hopefully you don't mind....) for a close-up of what I mean.....it's definitely an image of something.....almost looks like a frog.....if anyone has any input.....THROW IT IN PLEASE!!!!! THAT'S what I was talking about, @jbm !!

Image-MarkOnLamp2.jpg

Dukewright likes this.
  18. johnnycb09

Its such a mix of oriental and mission ! I would replace it with a cheap fixture and take it with me. I looked at 100s of examples of this stuff and didnt find any that matched yours. In this world,how much is unique any more?

Dukewright and komokwa like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had an Egyptian back out of the sale of my house....because I wanted to take the 2 ceramic wall lights out of one bathroom......

I you're going to take the lamp....do it before you show the house !!!!

Aquitaine likes this.
  20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good advice. If you do decide you want it, take it down before showing the house.

Here is what I see with the lamp from the photos provided and why I don't think this is antique. The metal looks inexpensive, stamped and thin. Each panel is identical to a fault. Also the soldering is kind of sloppy. I hope I'm wrong, but what is being circled as a possible signature looks like it might be a blob of poor workmanship with solder. Additionally, if the hardware above the lamp is original to the piece, the chain, etc and the ceiling cap look 1970s-80s.

Never seen a lamp with similar panels before, which maybe gives points for unusual.

Ask your realtor what he/she thinks. Honestly a more modern simple lamp might be more appealing to a prospective buyer, and that could be another argument for taking it down. You could always bring it to your new house and then decide, but that is some work and expense, too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Dukewright likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted