Help with dating Dutch? paintings

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Jul 4, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Have difficulties dating thsee works. They were bought in the UK. The signature reads to me like Minnie Appleyard which sounds British. Also not sure if the first name is Minnie? Having difficulties reading the first letters. Could not find any artist by this name.

The men look like they are wearing traditional Dutch dancing clothes. Maybe @Any Jewelry can help dating them by the clothes? :)

I have difficulties dating this piece. It's painted on laid paper. From what i know laid paper was used in the before and during the 1700s and early 1800s. This paper looks like it's fairly early so could be 1700s. They look like they have been framed late 1800s early 1900s.

I think the artist used old paper from a the front of a old book to draw these on. Possible it was drawn in Holland when the artist was there on holiday or such and witnessed this traditional dance.

Any info/input is welcome

20170704_194005_resized.jpg 20170704_194022_resized.jpg 20170704_194249_resized.jpg 20170704_194032_resized.jpg 20170704_194122_resized.jpg 20170704_194043_resized.jpg 20170704_194049_resized.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble reading the signatures too as your photographs are out of focus. There's nothing about these that would indicate they were created as early as the 1700s. Early 1900s more likely.

Debora

benbenny007 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think thats "Minnie Appleyard" ?

benbenny007 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Same thoughts here. Doesn't look that old.
    Screenshot_2017-07-04-21-18-15_resized.png Screenshot_2017-07-04-21-18-28_resized.png

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Almost wondering if these watercolors were sort of a novelty type of item? I agree w/early 1900s for dating.

Just last month I picked up similar at a sale, not normally my kind of thing, but found it a bit interesting.

Kinda similar, mine signed w/initials, thinking the "12" is "1912" same sort of label in the back. Also pen/pencil and watercolor:

dutch1.jpg dutch3.jpg dutch4.jpg dutch5.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing Minnie Applegard, which could be a Dutch name. They have a 1930s look to me.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are not Dutch, and Minnie Appleyard/Applegard is not a Dutch name (ask benbenny;)). As Lucille said, they look like a novelty item, English? American?
    The costumes are inspired by those from Volendam, a popular fishing village near Amsterdam, which most tourists know. But the gents seem to have been stripped of their jewellery.:(
    There are no specific dancing clothes, but there are different types of dress, for different seasons and different activities/occasions, here are two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like an bunch of farmers on their way to the "pub".........and then on the way home........................

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or a bunch of fishermen...
    It would explain why they lost their jewellery.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Didn't consider that..........I see sabot and think mud and think farmer..................little one track of me - sorry!

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They best be careful if they're in Antwerp or they'll run into the Lange Wapper.

Antwerp_Belgium_Lange-Wapper-01.jpg

Lange_Wapper

Draft saved Draft deleted