Featured Help with dating wood carving (potentially of Thomas Cranmer)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Katsura, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Katsura

Katsura New Member

20240309_142218.jpg 20240310_101023.jpg 20240310_101053.jpg 20240310_101045.jpg 20240310_101029.jpg Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently bought this wood carving from an estate sale of an art collector who specialized in English and Canadian art. There was no information given other than "vintage Medieval scholar." It looks older than vintage to me but I'm still new and learning. After lots of research, my husband and I think this might be a carving of Thomas Cranmer. Just an educated guess based on clothes, face, and the book and scroll.

We'd appreciate if anyone could help us narrow down a date range for this fellow, and/or confirm our id. Thank you!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first post, Katsura, and thank you so much for officially joining us!

I see no signs of wear that would indicate your wall hanging is genuinely old. And it appears to have been washed with color to enhance the appearance of age. These types of medieval carved figures became popular in the 1970s with the advent of mass tourism. Yours is very attractively done. Rather than an individual portrait (e.g. Thomas Cranmer,) he's more likely meant to portray a Medieval scholar in general. If "vintage" Medieval scholar" was the seller's description, it appears to be accurate. (In the world of collecting, "vintage" means less than 100 years old.)

Debora

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    Katsura, J Dagger, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  3. Katsura

Katsura New Member

Thank you for your helpful reply, Debora! The details you note are so obvious now--we just got too carried away in our research to see them clearly lol. No matter his recent age, I still really like him and he's going up on the wall by my writing desk.

komokwa, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome Katsura:)
    No better place for your scholar than around a writing desk!

Katsura, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It may have been salvaged from revival style furniture.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The furniture would have had to be pretty recent, given the look and style of the carving. And the salvaging even more recent.

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Been there, done that! :)

Katsura, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Ditto!

bluumz and Katsura like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted