Featured Help With Figural Spelter Clock Stand

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Feb 16, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the age of this clock stand. Stands 13 1/2"H on a base that is 5 1/2" x 3 1/2". No marks on the stand, the alarm clock is marked Peter Germany, not sure if this would be original or not - seems like an odd alarm clock stand to me.
    I know about the clock company, and they are known for their alarm clocks, not seeing any with this type of stand.
    Any thoughts or information appreciated.
    Thanks for looking
    DSC01888.jpg DSC01889.jpg DSC01890.jpg DSC01892.jpg DSC01895.jpg DSC01894.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the clock is a replacement. The bottom looks older to me,1880s-90s. But that's all a guess.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

cxgirl likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, thank-you folks for finding some examples of this piece - I couldn't find another one. I see in the worth point link that piece is marked - will do some looking into that company!

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I just found one with a little Dutch girl, same info as in the link Janet provided.

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks like the lil' Dutch boy has a pistol in his left pocket-maybe the piece was called "Killing Time?"

spirit-of-shiloh and cxgirl like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The movement is a modern replacement in a case dating from the early 20th C. It would originally have had a similar cheap 30 hour movement of a similar type.

Not an uncommon type, and you'll probably find more examples if you search for 'long case clock' or 'grandfather clock', 'tall case clock' is an exclusively US term and these things were originally from Germany so are commonest in Europe

spirit-of-shiloh and cxgirl like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol at spring - no gun, a cleaning cloth:happy:
    thanks af!

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

OK then my title for it is "Ragtime"

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted