Help with Frog salt and pepper shakers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NaptownFTW, Dec 6, 2020.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Picked these up a few days ago in the Midwest US, but I am having difficulty figuring out their origin.

They are approx 3-1/2” high with the base seeming to have been made separately and inserted into the top. I am thinking European porcelain, but after that I am at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Red staining around the holes is from the cork that I removed.
    A35BE8DB-8466-4B30-A74D-ABABA2BE105E.jpeg
    41945D2F-1173-4820-8DA9-4A8658C72312.jpeg E68BC22D-5DA5-4BA3-96E6-0CD4B5EB4DF6.jpeg 9AEEAFA1-3C03-4D35-B505-172A964CA9C7.jpeg
    79F4A920-E360-44C6-AFFE-8A1DBCBCA610.jpeg 843BB627-A9F4-499A-A343-AB82E05BF66C.jpeg
    41945D2F-1173-4820-8DA9-4A8658C72312.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Did you forget photos?

3. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Yeah, I accidentally posted before uploading them. Does anyone know why this site likes to rotate photos? I have had issues with this before.

4. i need help

We have been trying to figure it out, I don’t think it’s the site. I will rotate them for you.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Thanks. I am posting from a iPhone if that helps narrow down the issue. Photos were taken in the camera app (not the take a photo option from the upload a file button), then uploaded in a lower resolution using the iOS built in tool (200-400kb per photo).

6. i need help

I use an iPhone and upload from photo gallery, mine don’t rotate. We were experimenting with someone else using an iPhone trying to keep portrait orientation lock on. That didn’t solve the issue. I’m not that tech savvy.

7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

INH (now the @ and your name feature isn't working to tag you) - I don't have an iPhone but I'm wondering if sometimes people are using their phone held vertically and sometimes horizontally, when taking pictures, and that might be the problem. perhaps you could experiment?

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

I will look into the camera thing. I thought I had not gotten some tags, but I did get some. Will look into that, too. Thanks
    @i need help

9. i need help

10. wiscbirddog

11. i need help

I got the tag you just sent.

12. wiscbirddog

Funny it did work that time but only after I posted it. I didn't 'highlight' when I was typing it like it usually does. . .maybe I'm just over-tired and seeing things. :rolleyes:

i need help likes this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Japanese salt and peppers

CheersDears likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree, Japanese.

15. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Thanks. I haven’t seen Japanese shakers made with two pieces like these. Any idea on time period?

Also re: rotated photos- I took these in portrait mode. I will try landscape next time and see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted