Help with Heisey Alexandrite Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I bought these on eBay ( I do not have them yet) They are discribed as Heisey Aleandrite Finger Bowls, but I am having trouble pinning down a pattern name, and verifying if they are indeed Finger bowls, or something else...Nut Dishes maybe? Can anybody Help? Thank you in advance.

They are 4 3/8" and 2 1/4" tall wide

heisey1.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Don['t know if they are Heisey or not, but you could also look at Fostoria Fairfax or Lafayette in Wisteria.

They do look like the Fostoria nut dishes, but 4" is too big.

3. Bdigger

Thank you pat,,,, I realized on the way to the flea market today, that I used to have the Master Bowl to this set. I don't believe they are Heisey either. I never could get an ID on the Master Bowl. I sold it sometime in the past couple years. You may be onto it with Fostoria. I will keep searching. I'm thinking Berry Set or Desert Set now.

4. Bdigger

My thinking now is that they MAY be Lafayette 4 1/2" "Sweetmeat" bowls.....the foot looks right.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the color.

6. Bdigger

030.JPG 026.JPG
    If they are truely alexandrite color, they will be Purple/Violet in incandescent light and Blue in Flourescent light. I have collected Alexandrite colored glass for a long time now. It is really beautiful stuff! Here is one of my pieces in the different lighting..

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh my! That explains a dessert set I picked up years and years ago - 6 plates and sherbets that change color the exact same way! I remember buying them because they looked blue at the show venue, but when I got them home they looked purple violet and no longer went with my blue/grey dinner set.

I've been thinking about taking pics to see if all you glassies could ID a maker for me. Guess I should do that sooner rather than later.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this vase (Cristaux d’Art St Louis). Dichoric, I think it's called. Not Neodymium. (I get them confused)

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  9. Bdigger

Dichroic and Neodymium are basically the same.....The dichroic is for 2 colors and neodymium is the rare earth that is used in the glass formula to cause it to be dichroic, both refer to the same thing where Alexandrite color is concerned. The color was called different things by different makers,
    Heisey - Alexandrite
    Cambridge= Heatherbloom
    Fostoria= Wisteria
    Tiffin= Twilight

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. Bdigger

BTW. BEAUTIFUL VASE!

11. Bdigger

Yes Bakersgma! By all means post them! They are probably pretty valuable! Alexandrite is being made again now, but the older stuff is rarer and can command decent prices. It was expensive to make back in the 30's.
    If you put thos CFL bulbs in your dining room light, your set will be Blue again and you can use them with your color scheme! LOL

komokwa likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Can't put CFLs in my DR chandelier, I'm afraid. :( It's a refurbished oldie to match the 1916 age of the house and I can only use those 25 watt incandescent blubs. Most of my overhead lights are LEDs because they allow dimming (which most of the CFLs don't.)

13. Bakersgma

I do have one table lamp with CFLs and that's where I'll take the "blue" pics.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Dichroic.

Apparently, Alexandrite, the mineral in the chrysoberyl family, has its dichroic properties because some of the aluminum in its chemical makeup has been replaced by chromium.

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Dichroic isn't exactly right, it depends upon the angle of light incidence, not the color of the light.

I don't think we (the glass world) have a good word for it.

16. Bdigger

Cherry Hill......I like to use "Changey Color Glass" LOL

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The only stone I can think of like that is Labradorite, which I've never heard called dichroic, which is not to say it shouldn't be. WDIK?

18. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Dichroic glass does flash between colors as you move it.

Labroadorite exhibits labradorescence, a side-effect of the molecular change producing an iridescent play of colors.

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've heard the color on Labradorite referred to as schiller.

But it's all getting rather OT.

Waiting to see Bakersgma's pictures.

20. Bakersgma

Just started a new thread for them, Bob.

Draft saved Draft deleted