Help With Hindu/Buddhist Watercolor

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Diggummup, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this piece? 19 1/4" x 26 3/4" framed. It looks like the colored areas are hand painted and the black and gold background may be printed on. Bought it because I liked it and it was cheap. No idea what exactly it represents, if anything, other than a decorative sitting buddha. Also, any ideas as to age on this piece? Appears to have a little age to it. Sorry photos are out of order. Thanks.

IMG_8286 (1024x554).jpg IMG_8290 (1024x569).jpg

IMG_8284 (804x1024).jpg IMG_8285 (1024x799).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

judy, Christmasjoy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  3. Diggummup

Oh. I at first thought it was a female then I thought it was a male because of the narrow hips and lack of noticeable breasts. But now that you mention it, I believe you are correct.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Do a Google search for Tibetan "thangka". It is Buddhist, but their iconography is quite complex.

judy, Diggummup and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Although white, this buddha/bodhisattva is missing some of the features usually associated with Tara. She usually is seated on a lotus, or holding a lotus. She also has eyes on her hands and feet, and on her forehead.
    It may instead be the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, holding the bell and dorje (thunderbolt), which are ritual objects symbolizing enlightenment.

Jivvy, Diggummup and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Buddhist, as the others said, from the Himalayas.
    It depicts Vajrasattva, just like my thangka from another thread:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/tibet-bronze-thankga-no-idea-on-age.27362/#post-364296

Vajrasattva is the Boddhisattva, or aspect of the Buddha, which embodies the essence of the Vajra. The Vajra, or Dorje in Tibetan, is the symbol of the method to attain enlightenment. The Ghanta or bell is the symbol of wisdom. You need the two together to become enlightened.
    The Vajra is also called thunderbolt or diamond scepter.

Your Vajrasattva is surrounded by images of the Buddha as he calls the earth to bear witness to his enlightenment. So enlightenment is the theme here.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Jivvy, Diggummup, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  7. Diggummup

So it would just be a depiction of a thangka since it is painted on paper and not silk or cotton?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, it is a painting in its own right. The black background reminds me of monastery chambers with outlined paintings on black walls that lit up when a little light shone on them.

Thangkas were only necessary in situations where the painting needed to be rolled up.

Diggummup and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted