Help with HUGE mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Caigan, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Caigan

Caigan New Member

I was given this mirror by my father, who rescued it from an old storage shed before it was torn down. Mirror measures 6'10" @ tallest point by 4' (outer edges of wookd frame). Backed with wood (which I have not removed), extremely heavy, glass has oxidation spots/ silvering in areas, with beveled edges. No cracks- completely intact.
    Too Big to bring home, so I brought it to local antique store until I decide what to do with it.
    I would appreciate any information on period/ style/ age etc.
    Thanks in advance!!

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like a 1870s-1880s pier mirror.Missing the base. I think theres part of the crest missing as well. Is there damage up there? I bet it weighs a TON.Im no good at woods but it does look like oak.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Since you didn’t post in the Furniture Forum, let’s try to let @verybrad take a look.

Caigan and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Caigan

Caigan New Member

Didn't appear to be any damage to the top- but I'll check tomorrow and take some close up pics.. and yes, it DOES weigh a ton!!

5. Caigan

Caigan New Member

Yes- I had trouble deciding where to post so I searched "mirror" and it seemed more hits came up under glass.
    Can the post be moved?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Brad should find it now that I’ve tagged him. Can also ask @Bookahtoo to move to furniture. May take a little while. :)
    Thank you in advance, Bookahtoo!

Caigan likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it is quite a bit newer, though in an old style. Certainly last half of the 20th century and possibly as late as the 1980s. Doesn't seem to be missing anything to me. Wood appears to be something stained and finished to mimic mahogany. Really hard to tell since the finish is so opaque.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted