Featured Help with identifying a piece of furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Matt Kelman, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Matt Kelman

Matt Kelman New Member

Hi there, I work for a homeless charity in Gloucester and we have this display cabinet gathering dust in one of our storage rooms. I know very little about antique furniture. The only information i have on it are the photos and that it is 8 foot by 4 foot, there is a crest on the doors that i have taken a closer photo of.

Any information would be appreciated as i can then going about trying to sell it for the charity.

Untitled.jpg a.jpg Thank you in advance

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Matt. I take it you mean Gloucester, England?
    I think your charity's cabinet was made in Mechelen, Belgium, early-mid 20th century, using local oak wood. The crests are decorative.
    Unfortunately where I am, Netherlands/Belgium, there is no demand for this style. I hope that is different where you are. We have some UK members, they will be able to tell you.
    @daveydempsey do you think there is a chance Matt's charity could sell this in the UK?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Matt!

Welcome to Antiquers............

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might be British, aj, we did similar. I'd agree on early 20th.

Stick a label on it for a hundred quid and see what happens. Height will be the biggest problem: does it come apart?

Ghopper1924, patd8643 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would guess a few years earlier, but agree otherwise.

James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm about 12 miles from Gloucester and if I had a huge house I'd have it in a heartbeat. Sadly I don't have the room but it's sad that a piece of furniture like this is worth so little :-(.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is. Just look at the work that went into it, and oak is a wonderful, quality wood. But many people would rather have ikea.:arghh:

KSW and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, I think size has a lot to do with this, especially if the furniture form is a single piece instead of 2. Difficult to move, store and/or place in modern homes with 8 foot ceilings. Bigger is not better these days with furniture.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted