Help With ID'ing Civil War Photographer Last Name Ward

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

I recently purchased these two photographs together.

One is by a noted Civil War Photographer
    Samuel Cooley (10th Army Corps) Occupied South Carolina 1860's

It is of a house in which a fellow Orson? Orison? L. Ward resided during the war.

My QUESTION is, Can anyone help ID Mr. Ward? This photo that came with it from Chicago is supposed to be him, though I'm not sure because I have no idea what he looked like or what his name exactly is!

On the back of the photo is written in pencil "Orson Ward" but the dealer told me they wrote that there as the name was in the album, below the photo.. in a slot next to the photo of the South Carolina House. So I'm not sure if it's legit! IMG_2197.JPG IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2202.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Warm Regards!
    Scantic

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  3. Figtree3

From an Index in Ancestry:
    Name: Orson L Ward
    Residence: New York City, New York
    Age at Enlistment: 29
    Enlistment Date: 18 Aug 1862
    Rank at enlistment: Private
    Enlistment Place: New York City, New York
    State Served: New York
    Survived the War?: Yes
    Service Record: Enlisted in Company F, New York Marine Light Artillery Battery on 19 Aug 1862.Mustered out on 20 Apr 1863 at Hilton Head, SC.
    Birth Date: abt 1833
    Sources: New York: Report of the Adjutant-General

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I noticed the whitewash on the trees in the photo of the house............as a kid I remember my aunt having that done to the trees outside her front fence/wall....haven't seen it done in many years though. At time I thought it had something to do with making the trees visible to car drivers at night. Wonder if the same principle applied in the 1860s????? Oh, Lordy, ANOTHER quest for useless knowledge has begun..............

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Here's military info for an Orson L. Ward who might be the same person...

upload_2015-7-10_18-29-2.png

6. Mansons2005

Well, in the event that ANYONE cares, they whitewash trees to keep them cool....an I ain't kiddin either!

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This might be the same guy, too...

upload_2015-7-10_18-32-11.png

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This is from the New York State Archives, Cultural Education Center, Albany, New York; New York Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, 1861-1900; Archive Collection #: 13775-83; Box #: 1180; Roll #: 837

upload_2015-7-10_18-33-58.png

Sorry for not posting links. I'm getting this stuff from ancestry.com, and I think the links would only work for Ancestry members.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, Fig beat me to it with the info in my first post! :)

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Possible wife and children...

upload_2015-7-10_18-41-37.png

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This may be more likely for spouse and death info since father is cited as Lorenzo...

upload_2015-7-10_18-44-36.png

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My last two posts are from trees created by Ancestry members. I know from researching my family that these trees are often inconsistent with each other, even when they include some of the same people. So the info may or not be accurate.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. ScanticAntiques

Holy Smokes! I leave the computer for a moment and return to a cornucopia of amazing information!

Thank you all so much!! I'm going to look over it now! :)

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That would work! Not sure the tree gives a squirrels butt about it but still. (Attempting to keep them and other things out of them could be another reason)
    I have done a similar thing in Vegas in that, at work, as a fabricator not painter, I would buy white painter's pants and wear white T shirts to keep the heat down on my body which did work to do so.

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Mansons, I'm not sure, but I think I remember that being done in NYC mid-century? I never thought to question why.

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  17. ScanticAntiques

Huh, I never knew they even did that, nor did I even notice that!! Great point out! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It WAS NYC after all...... Us guys from Jersey love to give those Yorkies grief. :woot::eek::rolleyes:

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  19. Mansons2005

Yeah, apparently there are a bunch of scientific reasons for whitewashing tree trunks, keeping them cool and assisting with producing more fruit, and on and on.....

NYC mid-century..........I think you are correct......but I really never paid much attention..........I just "took for granted" what few trees there were in Manhattan (aside from the Park) - I can't even remember if my grandparents had any trees in the "garden" behind their townhouse............and the trees in our "orchard" out on the Island were not painted..........as far as I remember............

20. Figtree3

Pat, I noticed that the Ancestry screen shots mentioned sources of information. Could you look at what the sources are? I'm just curious as to how relevant the sources are. (The research librarian in me, I guess.)

Draft saved Draft deleted