Featured Help with Info on cabinet I got for free?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Inkspotter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

97FC2B84-E17A-42EB-9E8E-410E68BC8010.jpeg 03932C23-5A67-4813-B5FC-F0410CCDEC28.jpeg 3AC04FF3-50B2-45FB-91C6-BF6CAE77C9FC.jpeg E76C6AA4-D660-49C9-8D9A-FB7CA26913F0.jpeg E7D5AA17-1866-4810-B874-D7EBE9AE636A.jpeg C4837D3B-37B5-4928-BAB7-8A0EA329B759.jpeg 22A63098-8C3D-490B-AF1D-A4DF354DA2CF.jpeg I got this cabinet yesterday from a neighbor for free. She had very little info in it, aside from it was her grandmothers, and that her grandmother was originally from Minnesota.
    Dimensions are 31H x 32W x 18.5 deep. The glass knobs might be replacements, as there is a different outline carved into the drawer. No maker’s marks that I can find.
    Thoughts?

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

Thank you! I wish I'd sought out this site years ago.

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not sure but I think the piece is about 1870 - 1890 or so - the American furniture guys will know more.

The lock hardware looks late 19thc and seems original to me.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. It's all original - that back says OLD and the rest does too. There's some veneer action going but the base looks like walnut or similar. If I were guessing and it's American I'd think it's on the earlier end of the timeline from the design.

And for free? BINGO! The wood alone now to make a new one the same way would cost you a few hundred dollars.

Inkspotter likes this.
  6. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

887966C2-BF1E-468B-AA2F-8B0288364D09.jpeg 85977413-68B6-471C-BE1E-ECF3EF7F2E9D.jpeg 2B44E06C-53ED-49C5-A45A-DCDA8CF7DF81.jpeg A83E9AB8-2730-4692-BBE6-7532CED1BFF1.jpeg 8938E54B-10E3-475E-B7F1-E2E31A098C2B.jpeg Here are some more pics. The wood in the doors seems to be a panel and not veneer, but I can’t tell for sure on the sides. Pics of the latch and hinges. Pics of the corner details, which seem to be nailed on. Not sure if these are chisel marks.

J Dagger and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Rock solid walnut Renaissance Revival washstand or small cabinet. Looks like a poor refinishing job and a fair amount of handwork along with machine-finished elements. If it were mine I'd 1)Keep it 2)Refinish it correctly and 3) enjoy it.

The glass knobs look to be replacements for the original brass pulls, but are not totally out of place. As mentioned by previous posters, probably built ca. 1875 and will last another 150 years with some intelligent care. You could not buy this walnut and level of craftsmanship at Ikea for any price. Quite a gift!!

8. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

Thank you so much! There does appear to be some old paint remnants in some hard to reach areas, so the poor refinishing job makes a lot of sense. Is there any particular product or method you recommend to maintain the surface in the meantime? (Refinishing isn’t an option in the short-term).

9. Ghopper1924

Use Howard's Restore-a-Finish to make up for the poor refinishing job. It will not entail a dip n' strip refinish. Then use Howard's Feed n' Wax after that, and about once or twice a year thereafter. Use a very slightly damp cloth for dust between times.

Take a look at Renaissance Revival washstands on E-Bay to get an idea of the correct pulls to replace your glass knobs. You can easily get period-appropriate replacements online, even antique ones if you want to go for the full monty.

Why not post pictures here when you're done?

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

On board with Ghopper's analysis. I question whether or not this is American. Something about the overall form and those geometric carvings makes me say no.

11. Ghopper1924

Thinking the same thing. The ovoid top and low backsplash are very unusual. One might also expect a marble top because the whole thing is rather high style. Canadian? European? Cool piece in any case.

12. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Lovely piece! I’m so glad you are giving it a new home. I would swap out the glass knobs (but keep them for another use).

13. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

@Ghopper1924 @verybrad with her grandmother being from Minnesota, and the large population of Swedes and other Scandinavians in that state from the time period this is from, could it be based on a design from that part of the world, or possibly imported when the family immigrated?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Ghopper1924

In earlier times people typically did not bring furniture when they came to the U.S. because of bulk. They were paying for the transportation, and probably reasoned that they could just get another small cabinet once they got here.

However, in this case it may be true. That could explain the differences between this item and the U.S.-made ones you see. It's also possible that the cabinet/washstand was made here, but by a first-generation Scandinavian craftsman working in the old style.

15. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

Thanks again; I will poke around the web and look at older Scandinavian designs for comparison. The only Scandinavian furniture I am familiar with to date is my folk's Danish Modern stuff, which obviously bears no resemblance to something like this.

Also--regarding the Howard's Restore-a-Finish, should I go for neutral, or for the walnut? I don't want to accidentally obscure stuff with a too-dark finish.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Ghopper1924

I'd go for the walnut if it were me, since it's walnut that you're dealing with. Also, it's reasonable to expect that even if the original finish was intact, it would have darkened and developed a patina over 150 years. If something looks too "fresh" then you lose some of the charm of having a 150-year old piece.

komokwa and Inkspotter like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Odds are those knobs have been on the piece for a long time. The original pulls could have been lost in transit and someone added the glass ones to be able to open the drawers.(LOL)

18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a one-off, not a factory piece. If that commercially-made cast-metal latch is original, you're looking at the Aesthetic Movement subset of the so-called Eastlake style. That would explain the diamond shaped side bands. Have a look here and you can see the typical truncated geometry of the style. https://www.pinterest.com/carpelibrum/aesthetic-movementeastlake/
    It was initially inspired by the 19th century fascination with the newly rediscovered forms of Japanese decorative arts that came in after 1854, when Commodore Perry sailed back to Japan to pick up his paperwork. The original drawer knobs would have echoed that style as well, with a hexagonal-shaped back plate, from the looks of the ghosts carved into the wood. Try searches for aesthetic movement and Eastlake hardware on Etsy or eBay.

Potteryplease and Inkspotter like this.
  19. Inkspotter

Inkspotter New Member

Wow, thanks for the additional info. The debate here is all very interesting!

Rosiposey likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

schr5 (685x1024).jpg
    schr6 (685x1024).jpg
    very typical walnut.

Inkspotter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted