Help with info/value of MCM ottoman/storage

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lillian Sowa, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

I found this amazing piece container at my local thrift store. It still has a tag on the bottom; made by Sound Mattress & Felt Co., in Tacoma, Wa.
    But I'm having trouble finding anything out about it. I'm pretty new at this...

And I'm planning on selling it, but I don't know the value. You can see the condition by the photos.
    -On the top, there are a total of 4 tiny punctures, and there is one small scuff. And there is some scuffing on some of the sides. (All of this can only be seen if you look very closely at the right light.)
    -The inside has the paper, which is warped and damaged. (I haven't pulled it up to see what's underneath.)

Attached Files:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's not much information about Sound Mattress & Felt Co. floating around the internet. You should be able to (roughly) date your item by the tag which I believe was required by the FPLA passed into law in 1967. You'll want to confirm that. The pink vinyl does look much earlier (1950s-ish.) What material is the interior lining? It appears to be a faux wood grain of some sort.

Debora

PXL_20240227_151731830~2.jpg

Lucille.b, Marote and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

Thank you!!!❤️ Yes, the inside is basically a stiff wallpaper with woodgrain print. I also get a vibe earlier than 1967, due to the color...

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So do I. The shape, the vinyl, the color, the contrasting trim, the lining -- all look 1950s.

Debora

Lucille.b and Lillian Sowa like this.
  5. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

Thank you so much! Do you have any advice on where to look for information on the label/tag?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I Googled around for you with manufacturer's name. Not much to be found. If you can identify Reg. No. date on the internet you'll have your earliest date.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted