Help with information on antique chair please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Davidh93, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Davidh93

Davidh93 New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I was hoping someone might know a little about a chair I have picked up as a project. Bought it on a whim for cheap but feeling the weight of it now and how well its constructed im reluctant to start doing anything to it until I know more about it. Thank you in advance.

https://www.antiquers.com/media/antique-chair.7624/full

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

David, would you be kind enough to use Upload a File and then Full Image to post your photograph? That way it will be easier for everyone to see.

Debora

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Truthfully, wish someone hadn't literally 'slapped' a quick coat of paint on it....makes it harder to see what's going on with the wood.....could you please post more sides/angles of the chair, including the underside?? Any tags that might be on it as well! Thanks!! And WELCOME to ANTIQUERS @Davidh93 !!!

Houseful likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late 19th century. Minimal value in this condition so you can only improve it by working on it.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll say, looks like a shabby chic dealio gone wrong, I see a large drip/run of paint on right side arm support.

Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  7. Davidh93

Davidh93 New Member

Thank you for your reply I didn't realise it would be quite that old. Any ideas of value done properly? Id definitely be stripping the paint off, and its in need of reupholstering, I don't want to do anything that would de-value it though. Was thinking similar fabric, maybe something slightly darker but similar design, and beeswax on the bare wood once stripped back. Would re-upholstering with staples take away from the value as the fabric appears to be attached using tacks? Thank you.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Modern upholstery methods do not devalue. Unfortunately, not a lot of value even if restored, as out of fashion these days. In good shape, under $100.00 in my semi-rural Midwest location. Might do better in or near a big city.

9. Davidh93

Davidh93 New Member

Thank you for your reply been great help. Be worth it just for the challenge of getting it back into something near its original condition

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun project.

Debora

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Over here, it might well have had leather. Probably mahogany underneath. See if you can scrounge up a leather chair that's being junked. Some worn brown or maroon leather would look great.

Draft saved Draft deleted