Featured help with interesting T shaped vase marked SG

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Aug 30, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi folks
    this is another one i'm having trouble identifying, there are quite a few SGs, but none seem to fit the mark

there is a sean gordon mark that is quite similar, but he was only born in 1980, am i right thinking this is more mid century ?

let us know what you think

t2.jpg t4.jpg t3.jpg t8.jpg t10.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think we're looking at 60's or so? Maybe earlier

3. charlie cheswick

Thanks bakers, am I right in
    thinking modernist design ?

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm not all that good at naming styles of design. I could buy "modernist" but I think you should wait for other opinions.

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

Yeah I know what your saying, it's the word that came into my head, but I can't say why !!:)

judy likes this.
  7. charlie cheswick

You like scouts ?:shame:

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Me LIKE!

Which isn't much help... Brutalist, I think. Sean Gordon's gorgeous work is more post modernist meets ??

@Ownedbybear

kentworld, judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

judy, charlie cheswick and Jivvy like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From the way that's crackled I don't think it's 60s. Those aren't dishwasher crackles; those are age marks. This might be straight back into the Arts & Crafts era.

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

Thanks evey

It was displayed in the charity shop upside down, it was only when I turned it round and saw the inner glaze that spiked my interest

There's a funny camp guy with blue hair who works there, and when I put in on the desk to pay the right way up he said oooooooo I never thought to put it that way round !!:)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We had similar vases here in the 60s and 70s for ready-made floral displays from florist's shops. We call them florist's vases. The ones we had here were mostly made in the Netherlands, some in Germany.

Bakersgma and charlie cheswick like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's not in the British Studio book. Go ask on the British Studio Facebook page, someone will know.

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted