Help with Italian Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by libbyloodle, Jun 26, 2018.

1. libbyloodle

libbyloodle Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone...

This piece is not marked but looks Italian to me. I cannot figure out the intended purpose. There are two holes, I'm guessing, for hanging it on the wall. But was it also a utilitarian piece, with that cutout area? Measures 10" wide x 3" deep.

Maybe a question for Walter?

Thanks all.

italian pottery bowl wall hanging (1).jpg

italian pottery bowl wall hanging (2).jpg

italian pottery bowl wall hanging (4).jpg italian pottery bowl wall hanging (3).jpg

yasdun888 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. libbyloodle

Thank you, wiscbirddog. I never knew there was such a thing! That cutout did make me think of a mustache cup though :wacky:

Curiosity continues...think it was meant to be used, considering the holes for hanging it? Also, agree with me on Italian? Wondering about age, too.

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Just decorative and a modern souvenir.

libbyloodle and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Old style barber shops in Spain have rows of these hanging on the wall. If I remember correctly, in the old days every customer had his own shaving bowl, which is why there were so many on the wall. Could have been the same in Italy.

6. Any Jewelry

7. libbyloodle

Thanks All :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

By the way, I was thanking Davey because he deleted advertising by an Italian webshop.:facepalm:

libbyloodle likes this.
  9. libbyloodle

Must admit...I was a bit curious :shame:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Yes, it was a bit strange. Shops regularly give it a try if they think they can get away with it. I have a very suspicious mind, so if I come across something that looks like advertising, by someone who joined that day, I alert Davey and leave it up to him to decide if it is.;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    libbyloodle likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Since it's not food use, I'd go ahead and shave with this if you want to. If you have someone you trust with a straight razor near your throat, that is!

libbyloodle likes this.
  12. libbyloodle

Think I'm gonna hang it on the wall...the only thing I shave is my legs! :D:p

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Interesting piece and this is way out of my area of knowledge but it just doesn’t feel Western European to me. I don’t think it’s Italian or Spanish and I’ll be curious to see if someone can identify the country with certainty. I get a vibe that’s more Near or Middle East.

libbyloodle likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

The bowl form is European, though.The colour looks Spanish, if anything.

libbyloodle likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It looks very European to me as well, the shape, the design, the colour scheme.

libbyloodle likes this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Interesting. It just didn’t look Italian to me. I don’t know Spain or Portugal in the same way as Italy but I just didn’t see that piece as Italian. The more I think about it, I could see the south of Spain which would account for those “Eastern” vibes I’m getting. Sorry, got stuck on Italian and just couldn’t go there lol.

libbyloodle likes this.
  17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I learned something new from this thread. Never saw one like that before.

libbyloodle likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

That's fascinating. These barber's bowls are really common here - not neccessarily like this make, I mean, but the shape.

libbyloodle likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

And Don Quijote wore one as a helmet:

[​IMG]

20. libbyloodle

Really?!!

Draft saved Draft deleted