Help with Japanese figurines/ crafts

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gks68, Apr 10, 2020.

1. gks68

gks68 Active Member

Resized_20200331_195612_5202.jpeg Resized_20200331_195642_3583.jpeg Resized_20200331_200924_2295.jpeg Resized_20200331_200834_1466.jpeg Resized_20200331_195506_9994.jpeg Resized_20200331_201425_1836.jpeg Resized_20200331_200211_3280.jpeg 20200403_082542.jpg Resized_20200331_195417_4999.jpeg Resized_20200331_200354_770.jpeg Hi I bought these in bulk auction lot and I am hoping to get some information on these Japanese figurines and the markings.The pair, man and women are carved wood and painted and came with marked box.The other one seems to be paper made women on wooden stage and is very small and signed base.The photos with the measuring tape are in cm's which goes to show how small they are.

Thanks
    George

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

You should post them as FULL IMAGES.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. gks68

gks68 Active Member

I am not sure how too.I thought they were

4. gks68

gks68 Active Member

LOL I think just worked it out

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "couple" look home made, do they look that way to you?

I don't understand the "paper mache" part. I see like a stage? a Japanese woman in a kimono and a stringed instrument (the name of which escapes me - there is one upstairs in my store room that my son inherited from his step-mother.)

6. gks68

gks68 Active Member

I think the woman made out of paper

7. Bakersgma

Her kimono is made out of paper? The only part of her body I can see in your pictures is her head - which is covered in what looks like real human hair. What is your impression of the rest of that little scene?

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. gks68

gks68 Active Member

Looking at it with a magnifying glass it seems as though the whole woman is made of paper.As for the scene it appears to be a woman ready to play a stringed instrument.But what fascinates me is how can someone have the patience and such steady hands to create something so small.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the instrument a koto?

10. gks68

gks68 Active Member

Yes that's what it is.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The two in the first post seem very crudely carved and painted. They are either homemade, or maybe cheap tourist souvenirs? If anybody could read the writing, that may help a lot.

I'm fascinated with the other one and would love to know the story behind it. For example, why is she bowing toward the wall, and away from the onlookers (us)? We don't know the answer to this, but I would be interested in knowing.

Anyway, she is also crudely made and I wonder whether she is also a small souvenir of something? Or party favor? Only a little over 2 inches tall. You're right, that is a lot of detail for such a small size!

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Good question, Fig. I wonder whether she is permanently attached in that position or not (and can be moved?) Another thing I just realized is that the circle on the silver wall she is facing looks like it had something else attached there. No other little round piece, gks?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The crudeness of the first pair is really puzzling. I have a collection of Japanese souvenirs & they are all much better made than this.

Maybe the head is movable, but right now she is looking out at us to her left side. I imagined her ready to play the koto to the moon.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Maybe it was a small shrine

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted