Help with JR or TR or R mark on sterling frame

Discussion in 'Silver' started by drg642, Dec 22, 2015.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hi, this frame is about 5x7 and is marked JR 925 or TR 925 or R 925, not sure if that's a J or a T or a very fancy spine to the letter R. Does anyone know this mark? I've checked the J, T, and R lists in the American marks initials section on the 925-1000 site. I saw another frame with the same design, with a Wallace Sterling mark, if that's any help. Thanks for any help.

sfra1`.JPG sfra5.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the one I saw with the Wallace mark - looks like the same frame to me too.

4. say_it_slowly

I'm pretty much a silver numpty but fortunately there are some wise silver experts around here. Maybe they will know if Wallace used a supplier and then added their own mark (or something).

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That Wallace mark is quite modern in comparison to the other. The name wasn't Wallace Silversmiths until the late 1950's. I've been looking to see whether they might have acquired another firm with those initials, but I don't see a likely candidate.

6. say_it_slowly

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's it, all right!

8. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Impressive sleuthing SIS. Thank you so much. Not exactly a household name that will help sell it, but great to know what it is. I have been looking at completed sales for sterling frames, and the price variation is wild. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted