Featured Help with Kramer? and Blue Glass Beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Last week I bought two necklaces at a thrift store. The first one has a Kramer hook, but I'm thinking it was put together from various necklaces with an unrelated Kramer hook--it's missing at least a couple of strands, and Kramer necklaces with a tail usually have a "K" dangle at the end.
    Kramer.jpg
    I'd like to restring it into either one long strand or maybe two strands using some type of spacer beads, probably remove the metal beads altogether, and maybe use a vintage spring-ring clasp. I found the same givre glass beads on Etsy, but in a different color and shiny not frosted--they were described as vintage West German. I haven't been able to find a Kramer necklace like this one online-- do you think it's a marriage, and do you have any suggestions on how to remake it?

The second blue glass bead necklace doesn't have a clasp. I have a few other vintage bead strands that are tied together like this, and I'm wondering if they were sold that way to use in creating a fancier necklace, or at least restringing with a clasp. Does anyone know the approximate age and origin of these beads and whether they were hand or machine made? I would also welcome any suggestions for restringing them, such as adding spacer beads or just knot them, and what type of clasp would be appropriate for their age?
    BlueBeads.jpg

dude, Hi2022, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My only comment on the Kramerness of the first necklace is that the 'tail' strikes me as peculiar. Creative, but peculiar. Can you find another Kramer tail like it?

dude, Hi2022, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bronwen

I like the blue beads the way they are, except if I were restringing it, I would put small metal spacer beads between. The smallest that are large enough not to fall into the beads' drill holes. It makes the necklace more supple & stops the beads from grinding against each other.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    dude, Hi2022, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I've looked at a lot of Kramer examples online and haven't seen another tail like this one.

dude, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you Bronwen. I like your idea of small metal spacer beads. I think I have some tiny textured gilt brass beads in my stash that might work.

dude and KSW like this.
  6. Bronwen

If they're a good size, that sounds lovely & dramatic.

dude and KSW like this.
  7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I didn't have enough of the textured brass beads and they were too big anyway, so I used some plain round brass beads with their original clasp and attachments, which I'm thinking are probably 1950s. I'm not sure if they look appropriate, so I didn't tie off the other end yet. The necklace is now about 36" long. Opinions?
    BlueBeadsRestrung.jpg

dude, kyratango, Hi2022 and 4 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Ah, they're now opera length. Or are is it matinee?

dude and Hi2022 like this.
  9. Bronwen

Clasps like that have had a long run & are still being made. I think you can use it if it closes securely enough to handle the weight.

dude and Joan like this.
  10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bronwen. I had to Google the definition of opera length necklace to find out they're typically 28-37", so I guess mine qualifies. The clasp seems secure, but I may add a safety chain if there's a way to do it. Now I can finish the necklace. Thank you again for your help. I would still welcome opinions on the age and origin of the glass beads.

dude and Hi2022 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted