Help with maker/age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Terraspirit, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

oops. Sorry, I had not clicked the link.

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well to further complicate issues there was a pottery named Karlsbad Porcelain Factory Carl Knoll. My suspicion is that the KC mark above would be that factory's mark. It's not exactly the same mark but close enough. My reference is Bohemian Decorated Porcelain by Henderson, pp.49-50. I couldn't find the OP's mark in that book.
    Don

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Take a different approach! Think "importer" instead of "manufacturer!" From Kovels':

"Carlsbad or Karlsbad is a mark used on china made by several factories in
    Germany, Austria, and Bavaria. Many pieces were exported to the United
    States. Many of the pieces are biscuit jars, bowls, plates, and platters
    from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Carlsbad is a city in Czechoslovakia,
    home to the factories that made the exported porcelain. Most of the pieces
    available today were made after 1891."

Then the "P" and "B" in the cartouche (mark) could be for the importer Pitkin & Brooks from Chicago, IL!

Again from Kovels':

"Pitkin & Brooks was a company founded by Edward Hand Pitkin and J.W. Brooks in Chicago in 1872. The company was an importer and manufacturer of china, glass, and lamps that was in business until about 1920."

This still doesn't identify the original manufacturer, but it successfully dates P & B pieces from Karlsbad and/or Carlsbad from somewhere between 1891 and 1920!

I wish to seriously thank spirit-of-shiloh for posting the marks! I only had 1/2 a cartouche so was unaware there was also a "B" to take into consideration!

Sincerely,
    Shawn

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted