Help with mark on Chinese? porcelain trinket or cigarette box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Sep 20, 2018.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm trying to identify the mark on the bottom of this trinket or cigarette box. I'm curious too about the design on the cover in the first picture below. That center looks familiar, but I can't place it. Any ideas? Thanks ... Dave

db_box_1.JPG
    db_box_2.JPG
    db_box_3.JPG
    db_box_4.JPG
    db_box_5.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a good luck & prosperity symbol......so likely not a cigarette holder...;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

gimbler-dave and sabre123 like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Playing cards perhaps?
    Don

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if we only knew the dimensions............s i g h ....:angelic:

Debora, gimbler-dave and dgbjwc like this.
  5. gimbler-dave

The lower portion of the piece measures 4.8" (123mm) x 3.7" (94mm) and is 1.6" (42mm) high from bottom of foot to rim. Weight with lid is 1.3 ounces / 531 grams. Sorry, should have included with first post! Dave

komokwa likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Too big for cards then...

gimbler-dave and komokwa like this.
  7. gimbler-dave

Could it be Japanese?

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Japanese pieces are usually a bit more refined I think.
    Don

9. gimbler-dave

It's the mark that makes me wonder if it is Japanese. I've gone through gotheborg, both Chinese and Japanese marks, but haven't found a match yet. Still not sure about the orientation though, and that makes it more difficult to visually scan for a match.

10. Duane Warder

Duane Warder New Member

This is Chinese made for Japanese export (chinese boxes are round) it is meant to hold trinckets, or jewelry such as rings. To put a date on this I would believe to be 19th century. Also look at the gas bubbles and compare it to others. Here's a helpful guide

i need help likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Yong (?) Tang, according to gotheborg, Chinese, but, hey, this is from last September.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted