Featured Help with marks on ladle

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 16, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone,

I picked up this ladle at a thrift store today, I was hoping someone could help me identify the marks:

IMG_9111.JPG IMG_9112.JPG IMG_9113.JPG IMG_9114.JPG IMG_9115.JPG

J Dagger, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Love the design on the handle!!!!!

judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sweet, even with the repair - would fit nicely in my collection. :rolleyes:

Norwegian marks in order shown in the last pic: city of Bergen, assayer Christen Hoff (1820-61), maker 'CGN', December assay, in 1840. Don't know the maker, but I do have an old publication with some Bergen silversmiths - not sure if it's here or packed away somewhere, will check later...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Cheryl. The internet was steering me to Hungary or Germany and that went nowhere. Am I right to assume the 12 is the silver fineness?

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was a quick late-night post - guessing you were looking at the '12' as a löthige/lødigt mark...

The 1st mark is the city gates of Bergen over seven balls symbolizing the seven hills; the 2nd mark, 'H' over 'W' (Warden), belonged to Bergen assay-master Christen Hoff, in office 1820-61; the 3rd mark, 'CGN', was the maker; the 4th mark indicates the month it was assayed, '12' over 'M' for December; the 5th mark indicates the year it was assayed, 1840. There could have been a 6th mark present indicating the quality in lødigt, but since there isn't, would be at least the lowest acceptable standard in the 19th century, 13-1/4 lød (just a bit over 828/1000). The lady depicted would be the Greek goddess Demeter.

Your maker should be Carl Gustav Nettergreen, he was Swedish, born in Stockholm, and registered there as a goldsmith in 1834, he then managed the Bergen workshop of Jenny Høgh, the widow of Johan Christian Høgh, from 1837-39, registered as a goldsmith in Bergen in 1839, married Jenny Høgh in 1840, and died sometime in the 1870s.

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted