Featured Help with McCoy Glaze

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Sep 4, 2021.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Is there a name for the mottled glaze on this McCoy lizard handle vase? Most of the lizard vases I've found on the internet have a standard matte or semi-matte glaze, while this one appears to be white-on-cream. It's sort of like a vellum glaze but not really.

All help appreciated!
    Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DizzyDaff, Joe2007, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

By any chance could the white splotches be under the glaze and unintentional? It reminds me of damage to some of my crocks when I lived in a very humid climate.

ulilwitch and antidiem like this.
  3. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I'd call it stippled ivory or white. Don't see it in some flips through my McCoy books, but someone else may recognize it. Could also be a trial glaze. Very pretty! Joe

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pretty vase. Why isnt it marked ? Did McCoy put out unmarked pieces? Granted Im not an expert,but I get a Chinese repro vibe .Im often wrong though !

5. Joe in PA

Other examples on line (I've seen) aren't marked either. Repro angle would need to be researched as you rightly point out

ulilwitch and *crs* like this.
  6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The vase isn’t a repro. Lots of McCoy isn’t marked, especially old Nelson McCoy pieces. When I bought it (lighting in the shop wasn’t great) I thought it had browning, not uncommon with McCoy. But the speckling is definitely under glaze and there’s no damage. It bears some resemblance to McCoy’s art vellum glazes of the 1920s but not quite.

ulilwitch, antidiem and *crs* like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like crystalline occurence in the glaze. Could just be a happy accident through a quirk in the firing. No reason to believe this is not authentic McCoy.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  8. Joe in PA

There was a McCoy mother of pearl glaze that used similar colors but not stippled. IMO The Stippling seems very regular and intentioned unlike crystals produced during firing

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks like a real McCoy to me too! :)

ulilwitch likes this.
  10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Being brought up in Ohio in a very large family I have seen all kinds of McCoy and Roseville products. I believe this is truly a McCoy vase and it is from the 40's.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

12. verybrad

The glaze on the piece in the link is described as similar to Brush-McCoy art vellum line which is a mottled glaze unlike that seen in this vase. This really looks crystalline to me. Tried to blow the central section up and work on contrast a bit to show what I am talking about.
    mccoy.jpg

Would like to see a better close up.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Congratulations on a really good find! These lizard handled vases always seem to have a lot of demand in the marketplace.

ascot likes this.
  14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

@verybrad
    Here are some close-up photos of the glaze. (Blue spots are reflection.) You can see how the white pools in the crevices on and around the lizard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DizzyDaff and antidiem like this.
  15. verybrad

Sure look like crystals to me. I think either a happy accident or a trial glaze as someone else suggested.

DizzyDaff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted