Featured Help with millefiori (?) necklace -- vintage or new?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, May 15, 2019.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

In case anyone is interested, here's a summary of the various opinions from this forum and two Facebook Ethnic Jewelry forums:
    • Four people think the beads are Italian (from vintage to newer).
    • Several more people think they're new/recent from either China, India, or Indonesia.
    • A few people said they're new, but didn't identify a country.
    • One person said they are clearly not Indian star canes and doesn't think they're recent Chinese beads due to the tone of the red glass and because the beads appear to be matted (which they are).
    • One person said they could have been made in India using Venetian canes.
    • One person said Indonesia can be ruled out since they make star canes differently from Indian, Venetian and Chinese cane-makers, and suspects the beads are fairly recent, but said it's not impossible they could be '60s origin.
    • Another person said the clasp could have been made in India or Indonesia from a remold of an old clasp.
    So, even if I find some identical beads attributed to one of the above countries, I wouldn't know whether to believe it unless they're in original packaging with the country of origin identified -- but I've enjoyed reading all the different opinions, have learned a lot and thank everyone for taking the time to participate in this forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted