Featured HELP WITH NAME & AGE OF ANTIQUE DESK?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 8, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi
    This is one of the pieces of furniture left when our mom passed away. My sister is going to sell this in NC because the size made it difficult/expensive to bring to Miami to sell - and we thought it would sell better in NC because there is probably more decors it would fit in there than Miami's glass & chrome modern style everyone seems to like here!

She asked me if I knew what type of desk it was, what age it was, etc and I told her I did not, but I knew how to find out & told her about Antiquers.com! She sent me these photos by her phone & can send more if needed.

So, guys, any info would be appreciated (and make me look good in my big sister's eyes!) - Thanks.

MOM FURNITURE DESK PIXIE 1AA.jpg MOM FURNITURE DESK PIXIE 1AAA.jpg MOM FURNITURE DESK PIXIE 1BAAA.jpg MOM FURNITURE DESK PIXIE 2AA.jpg

2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

These used to come in an assortment of designs and we called them ladies writing desk. Agree, will sell in NC, probably not Miami, but not for much.
    Patd

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Werent these called "spinet" desks? Id guess its 1920s-30s.

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It may have started out as a melodeon - my mom had one that never got the restoration/repair it deserved (not hers below)

It looks like yours has a brace for sheet music.

A Fine Collection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnnycb09 and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1930 spinet desk. Was never an actual musical instrument but certainly patterned after the original spinet pianos. Appears to be mahogany.

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you guys!

i need help likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Might make a nice computer desk...

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted