Featured help with nice little oil on board painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Aug 30, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi guys, found this little 9 by 7 inch(frame) oil or acrylic painting today

i like the way they have used the board for backing colour as sand and sky

its quite interestingly done

anyone get any ideas or insights to the painting

no sigs or markings, inside or out

any thoughts appreciated

Aviary Photo_132116597047346997.jpg Aviary Photo_132116598394962054.jpg Aviary Photo_132116599724356748.jpg Aviary Photo_132116600605396381.jpg Aviary Photo_132116601325605169.jpg

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Someone who liked to paint in their free time is my best guess.

3. charlie cheswick

someone who liked to paint WELL in their free time ! :)

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

appears to be an older version of flow painting, where the piece is more of a happy ending happening than the result of skill. i like it too

5. charlie cheswick

yeah its better when you squint !.

was wondering what type of hat it could be the two figures are wearing, i think one is fanning a fire ?

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

it was nothing was accurately painted to be any sort of hat, same with the two figures. it's the type of painting to make your imagination work.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like the painter knew what he or she was doing. I don't, but I like it.:) And great colours.:happy:

8. charlie cheswick

Thanks AJ, yeah I agree very confidently applied, probably would have been done very quickly

But that's not to say he/she might have already painted another 50 that day !

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe even had them lined up in a row, I used to know a painter who did that.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. frame and artist's board give me a 1950s feeling. perhaps into the 1960s.

11. charlie cheswick

Thanks fid, 1950s was my thinking as well because of the colours

Maybe a street type artist souvenir piece

I kinda like it though !

kyratango likes this.
  12. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

What a beautiful piece! Do I see the paint applied more thickly in areas? If so that’s a beautiful impasto-technique painting. A piece that size I would agree was likely quick work :D

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

Thanks ladymoon, yeah it's very textured with thick raised areas

Impasto technique is very helpful by the way, didn't know quite how to describe it

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

Impasto is generally used within the realm of contemporary art or more traditionally impressionism. I happen to be a painter in a combo style between the two :joyful: I love thick paint!

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It reminds me of a Morris Katz painting or a borscht belt (Catskills) guest painting. He painted with a palette knife and toilet paper. Back in the 50s and 60s, some of the big resorts had classes for guests so they could complete a painting of their own. Morris Katz taught some of those classes. He was famous for being the fastest comedian painter in the world. He toured the resorts or places like Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami and he would sell his paintings while doing a comedy show. He was also known for his philanthropy and did a lot of fund raising events. Since this isn't signed, I think this would have been a landscape piece by a guest or something they did on their own when they got home. I've sold a few of his paintings and some sell for decent money depending on the subject.

Here is a video that shows him painting.

16. charlie cheswick

Thanks mill cove, interesting little watch !

I'd like to give it a go, just to see how easy it would be to come up with something like mine.

I might be wrong but I do see a skill and technique in the little painting I posted, I'm not sure I could come up with something like that overnight, I think it would take a decent amount of practice

Draft saved Draft deleted