Help with old (English?) impressed pottery mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SarahAR, Sep 15, 2019.

1. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

received_459028741492224.jpeg
    Can anyone help identify this stamp? I know that the Rd means registered design.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Photo of the whole object please, it's a vital clue. Certainly British.

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's not a typical registry mark.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

It's an RD number mark, rather than a registry mark. I can't make the number out properly, but it looks to be one of the very first ones after the diamond was abolished. Mid to late 1880s.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Thank you all. Does anyone know what this piece is called? A tea caddy maybe?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Biscuit jar?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

How tall is it?

judy likes this.
  9. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Sorry I should have included something next to it for reference. It's 6" to the top of the lid, so probably roughly twice as tall as a sugar bowl. I picked it up yesterday on the last day of an estate sale for $5. I just thought it was a sweet little jar. From the stains inside it looks like they might have kept coffee in it. It's obviously some type of transferware and not hand painted. I wish I could make out whatever is on the left side of of the diamond because I'd love to know who made it.

**On second thought maybe this is just a large sugar bowl? After looking around online, I have found several similarly styled and sized antique "sugar bowls".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Ownedbybear

Sugar bowls can be that big, but the shape is wrong. Might possibly be for dripping.

11. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Adding a better enhanced image of the bottom. I'm still stumped. I can only find two diamond registration marks used between 1842 and 1883 until they went to using strictly an Rd. No. without the diamond. Maybe this was something of a transitional mark between 1883-1884. I've emailed a couple of British pottery "experts". What do you think of the letters on the left hand side? O T T K D is what my eyes are seeing..definitely a K.
    bottom1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted