Help with Pattern: GORHAM Sterling Baby Spoon #225

Discussion in 'Silver' started by LoveTheHunt!, Apr 18, 2020.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings! Hope you are all staying healthy.
    I am usually pretty good at identifying silver patterns from American companies - but even though this one is from one of the most common and prolific silver producers, this one has me stumped. But the expertise on this site never ceases to amaze...
    This infant or child's spoon is 4-3/16" long, while the bowl is about the size of a regular teaspoon.
    It has an unusual and interesting pattern. The long-eared standing figure appears to be a rabbit, donkey, or mule in a long coat, with a monocle and walking stick.
    Even the hallmarks are a little unusual - including a backwards "N" in "STERLING".
    I have checked books, web sites and search engines, but can't find anything like this... HELP!
    Sterling_Silver-Gorham-Baby_Spoon-225-pattern.jpg

Sterling_Silver-Gorham-Baby_Spoon-225-s.jpg

Sterling_Silver-Gorham-Baby_Spoon-225-hallmarks.jpg

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There may not be a pattern name.
    Probably sold as a child's gift set with a fork. Pattern number, but not necessarily named.

Looks like Uncle Wiggily. Rabbit, not donkey:)

@Bakersgma
    @DragonflyWink

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I am of the same opinion, Pat, both about being a rabbit and as part of a gift set. I went looking earlier and then got distracted after not finding a named match.

4. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately the only child's fork I found at that location was completely unrelated to this spoon.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, I sold one of the spoon & fork sets years ago, but my memory isn't what it used to be, so I just can't remember how much research I did, or if there were more pieces, like a cup, bowl, etc. - Gorham and other manufacturers did a lot of acid-etched fairy tale and nursery rhyme childrens' patterns like this in the late 19th - early 20th century.

Pretty sure it's based on Brothers Grimm stories, from 'The Hare and the Hedgehog' on the spoon, and 'Hans in Luck' on the fork. In 1898, Gorham changed their numbering system, the fork below, with a different style trademark than yours, would be earlier production (no worry on your backward 'N', just a tired die-cutter, see it occasionally, especially 'N's and 'S's)...

gorhambabyfork-grimmhans-1.JPG

gorhambabyfork-grimmhans-2.JPG

gorhambabyfork-grimmhans-3.JPG

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted