Featured Help with sewing table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by macrofossil, Jun 18, 2022.

1. macrofossil

macrofossil Member

This piece has been in the family a while but I'm not sure where it's from or how old it is. I've been searching online but haven't found anything quite like it. Has anyone seen a sewing table like this before? Any ideas where it is from or how old it might be? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you. IMG_3194.jpeg IMG_3197.jpeg IMG_3195.jpeg IMG_3196.jpeg IMG_3198.jpeg

judy, Rayo56, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a nice piece ! I wonder why a sewing stand would have a mirror? Id guess 1860s-70s. Looks Empire to me. Are those the original knobs I see in that drawer ?

Born2it and macrofossil like this.
  3. macrofossil

macrofossil Member

Ím not sure about the knobs. There are faint marks on the drawers that suggest that the original knobs were bigger in diameter— or maybe there was an escutcheon that is now missing?

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful, Not so much a table as a cabinet - check this out - I have something similar but just "Have It" - not really using it for anything........

000_6786.jpg 000_6785.jpg

5. macrofossil

macrofossil Member

That is really cool!

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Or a lock...

The compartments don't look appropriate for sewing paraphernalia. I think it was possibly for a different purpose than sewing.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a walnut renaissance revival sewing table. Circa 1870.

8. verybrad

The general form is a sewing table with the lower drawer intended for yarn, fabric, etc. However, I found this very similar one fitted with a writing slope so maybe dual purpose?

[​IMG]

9. macrofossil

macrofossil Member

Thank you!

komokwa likes this.
  10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

They are more often called "work" tables (as in needlework I guess), which, coupled with the work "Victorian" might help you get more info. Every house had one back then, except maybe not this nice.

Born2it, macrofossil and Figtree3 like this.
  11. verybrad

In my Midwest neck of the woods, a work table is more generic than this. Perhaps the term is used differently in other regions?

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted