Featured Help with Sheraton Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Deux Coeurs, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

I just purchased this dresser at auction (I'm in the midwest) and assume it's Sheraton style due to my research. Its measurements are 44.5" H x 41.5" W x 19" D. It obviously doesn't have the original hardware and most of the locks have been removed (the top two middle drawers had locks as well). Does anyone have any guesses as far as age? Am I correct in my Sheraton assumption? What kind of wood is it? If you look closely you can see that the first two long rectangular drawers would have had wide handles (at some point) as should the center of the bottom drawer. Or would the wide handles have been added at a later point then removed again (I removed one of the knobs if that helps)? I'd like to replace the current ones with something more akin to what the originals would have looked like. Also, why do people strip furniture of locks and knobs? For the metal? 20210814_173240.jpg 20210814_173118.jpg Screenshot_20210814-172952_Gallery.jpg Frustrating.
    Thank you for any help! Screenshot_20210814-171854_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210814-172039_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210814-172159_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210814-172251_Gallery.jpg 20210814_172517.jpg 20210814_172843.jpg

judy, Boland, lovewrens and 1 other person like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@James Conrad!! More help will be along! I love it and think it looks gorgeous!!!

judy and Deux Coeurs like this.
  3. Deux Coeurs

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Sheraton style, mid 19th C. CONGRATS on winning your chest of drawers!

Flame mahogany or birch, with book-matched veneer drawer fronts and cock beaded drawers, very nicely done. It's factory-built with typical mid 19th C. frame & panel construction.

LOL, I don't know exactly but, it's the easiest way to"update" old furniture so often is missing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  5. Deux Coeurs

judy, i need help and James Conrad like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A pretty little thing.

Debora

i need help and Deux Coeurs like this.
  7. Deux Coeurs

Thank you!

8. James Conrad

I think that has already happened, the single round wood pulls were the usual for this era & style.

Yep, that is probably what happened, the "wide handles" were probably rosettes with swan neck bail pulls ( judging by the witness marks) which were popular during the Federal era.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Boland and i need help like this.
  9. James Conrad

Rosett bail pull
    A164-complet-handle-drawer-pull-set.png

For the same reason you want those swan neck bail pulls, style preferences!:p

i need help likes this.
  10. Deux Coeurs

@James Conrad Thank you a million! I love those bail pulls...but after looking at it more, I'm afraid covering the holes from the current knobs would be a nightmare. Also...that glue lol. Regardless, I'm still going to be on the lookout because I'm a sucker for old brass. Your help is greatly appreciated!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Yes unfortunately someone changed pulls & drilled those extra holes for the bail pulls but, it's back to how it looked originally.
    I'd leave it be too.

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  12. Deux Coeurs

Will do! So, as far as age, 1830s? 40s? 50s? etc.

13. James Conrad

In the 1840s-1850s, machine, factory-built

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  14. Deux Coeurs

Thanks again!

James Conrad likes this.
  15. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Although period appropriate, I think your piece had a different type of drawer pull than the wood ones on it currently. The witness marks indicate that there were stamped brass pulls, rather than wood pulls which leave different witness marks. This pic of yours shows what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    And the type of pull that was used originally would have been more like the ones used here, at whatever size you measure. (This is assuming all the round pulls show similar witness marks - if only one, then it could have been a one-off temporary replacement). These were available in lots of different styles made of stamped sheet brass, some with floral decoration, objects or even people. Reproductions are readily available, but full sets of original pulls are hard to find and expensive, so you might want to keep the wood pulls you have since they are appropriate and look nice too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  16. Deux Coeurs

I absolutely adore the brass and would love to find a full set exactly like the one you showed close up. As you've said, they're few and far between and definitely expensive (at least that's what I've found in the limited research that I've done). I got lucky and didn't pay that much for the dresser and from what I've seen I would pay more for hardware than the dresser itself (no thanks!). That dresser in the photo is gorgeous! Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated!

17. James Conrad

Well, thing is, ALL the brass furniture hardware was imported from England until the 19th century. The colonists were forbidden by law from engaging in the foundry biz.
    You can buy brand new brass hardware that is cloned from period examples using the "lost wax" process to make exact copies.
    They are reasonably priced as well, most restorers here use these folks in GB to replace/restore old brass that is missing. GOOD OUTFIT!
    https://optimumbrasses.co.uk/

Deux Coeurs and judy like this.
  18. Deux Coeurs

Thank you so much!

19. Deux Coeurs

Another question @James Conrad @Jeff Drum. Would the feet have been shortened to add the casters (because of the ends being tapered)? Screenshot_20210816-170453_Gallery.jpg

20. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That does seem a somewhat unusual end for a leg, but could be original since all four the same. Best way to decide is to view the foot from underneath, along with the hole and attachment for the wheel. Wheels usually pull off with gentle pressure; don't do more than that to prevent cracking leg. Adding casters doesn't require shortening legs just drilling a hole, so hard to know without getting a better view. In any case, those work and look fine, and are high enough as is, so probably best not to mess with them.

Deux Coeurs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted