Help With Signature On European Peasant Watercolor

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 12, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

There is a glass on the way so I am not sure if it is original art or print. Any suggestions on the signature?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like R Sam Moirau and the woman's face has a bit of a 'Strength though Joy' look. but that's probably only because I was looking at the history of KdF yesterday, and so I'd say it is probably from the 1920s or 30s and is an Italian location, possibly imaginary.

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks like a real watercolour from the photo, but you could tell if you removed it from the frame. I like this one quite a lot. Wish I could help with the sig -- R. San Monan?

4. afantiques

San sounds more likely than Sam, but I'm a child of handwriting and the spelling of the surname seems pretty clear to me. Could be Moisau

5. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

traditional costume and landscape look like one of the southern valleys of Grisons.
    perhaps Santa Maria in Calanca that has such an old defence tower.

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Although it could be an original watercolor, I've had mid-century prints with a similar look to the color areas. Mine were produced using continuous-tone lithography, probably the photochrom process.

7. kentworld

I am a child of handwriting, too, and I thought that was a dot over an "i" but then decided that it's a brown dot of paint instead of a dotted "i." Monan, Mouau, Monau, Mouan?

8. afantiques

I think it's a dotted i because there is no real reason to have a dot there and with watercolour you don't get paint spatter. It is also the same colour as the rest of the signature and it is rectangular rather than 'blob shaped'.

But in the long run it's not likely to make much difference since the artist is likely to remain unknown, and selling the picture would depend on finding someone who liked it at the price asked.

9. kentworld

OP will have to determine if it's to be "i" or not to be "i." ;)

10. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Whatever it is, 'i' or not 'i' , can't make a name to make sense.
    I see the dot being brown, not black as the rest of the signature.
    I did not want to open the back but I may do. I really want to be sure if it is a print or watercolor. And may be find hidden treasure :)

Draft saved Draft deleted