HELP WITH SIGNATURE ON SURREAL PAINTING? LITHO?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 10, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone make out this artist's signature? I thought I recognized it - so I paid $59.95 for it at a local thrift store (they gave me $10 off when they couldn't say who the artist was either!); which is a lot for a thrift store (and me!) - did I do good or was this a swing and a miss?

Thank you - I appreciate any help!

AA ART PAINTING ROMAN - ABSTRACT SURREL 3 MEN AND FISH ON PLATE 1AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING ROMAN - ABSTRACT SURREL 3 MEN AND FISH ON PLATE 2AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING ROMAN - ABSTRACT SURREL 3 MEN AND FISH ON PLATE 3AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING ROMAN - ABSTRACT SURREL 3 MEN AND FISH ON PLATE 4AA.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

That's it!
    Thank you.
    Can you tell if it's a painting or litho? I looked at it with a magnifying glass & it looks like a painting, but it says Poster?
    Again, thank you for the help!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it's behind glass, more than likely printed rather than painted.

Debora

komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I agree about it being a print if it's behind glass - also paintings are not usually pencil signed on the border. Also like you said... it says poster so...

judy likes this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I agree that this is a print of some sort, but it's not uncommon for watercolors and pastels to be behind glass.

And before you tell me that "pastels aren't paint" -- I know, it's the contemporary art world you should be informing, not me. :chicken:

cxgirl likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

I already posted a pic of it & asked what it is on Facebook as soon as Barn Owl told me who it was!
    If you look on his website it doesn't have any prints or lithos - just paintings, watercolors (he doesn't include them as paintings either jivy! Although I learned something new today with that bit of information) and Encaustic on canvas & paper (what the heck is a encaustic - that's a new one for me?).
    Finally, did anyone find a price for any of his work? Everywhere I looked it said: 'Please contact us for price'!

judy likes this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Shoot them an email w pics ... hopefully they'll be nice enough to authenticate it for you and tell you whether it's a watercolor or an encaustic.. or something else.

judy and i need help like this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

This is definitely a signed print/litho of an original painting. Some of his original paintings are around 250.00 as I saw online. Since yours is just a signed print you might be able to squeeze 80.00 for it if you are selling it

judy, komokwa, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

judy, cxgirl and i need help like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not sure why, but I like looking at this image. Although it sounds like the poster won't have much value, I hope you sell it for a profit.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted