Help with signed full Turquoise stone bracelet - American?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by chantaljones, Jan 23, 2019.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

I was watching a season of Gem Hunters and the subject was turquoise, and ive seen that small stones were fetching high prices. Remembered that I also had one piece turquoise catching dust in the drawers. Is it worth something because of the size of the stones? Is it good quality? Don't know how much carat it is but total weight is over 200 grams. It is signed LRB but can not find any info. Can someone help or know who the designer is?

The color blue you see in the pictures are not ink marks. These are part of the stone. From which country is this turquoise? America? I can remember that I had ones native American jewellery which had the same blue spots.

20190123_113717.jpg 20190123_113747.jpg 20190123_114154.jpg 20190123_114102.jpg 20190123_113900.jpg 20190123_113814.jpg 20190123_114222.jpg 20190123_113944.jpg 20190123_113917.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

cxgirl, Phaik Hooi, Xristina and 6 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Chantal. The first thing to learn about turquoise is that there are a number of ways of mimicking it by dying other types of stone, as well as ways to make natural turquoise look better than it did when it came out of the ground. I agree with kyratango on this one & see those darker blue places as evidence of unevenly distributed dye. The fact that the bracelet was made by stringing drilled pieces on elastic is a good clue that the stones are not valuable. I would be very surprised to see good turquoise treated this way. Still a handsome bracelet. :)

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not any NA I've ever come across....

chantaljones, reader, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's Anthropologie, a modern and sometimes rather expensive costume jewellery maker.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's definitely costume. I'd bet good money it's dyed magnesite rather than howlite, but that's academic. Turquoise it ain't. I don't know enough about modern costume to know if it's anything really good.

chantaljones, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

It's quite a nice brand. I'd not pay retail for it, but then, I'd not pay retail for almost anything!

chantaljones, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Anthropologie is not a brand per se. They’re an on point boho trend home goods and fashion retailer who buy from many different vendors.

With respect that it’s a very successful business that retails fun boho/Moroccan-ish/embellished clothing and nice candles and great pattern china (from China) etc. it’s all volume-looks at a price without any true quality although it’s fun to shop for styling.

With respect, they don’t sell quality. The bracelet, though fun and a look is inexpensive costume as already stated. The company is owned by Urban Outfitters. (LOL as I bought my fave Mexican confetti stem wine glasses at Urban Outfitters decades ago and still do use them).

Anthropologie is fun to walk-like going through a commercial bazaar.

11. evelyb30

IOW, they're what Pier One USED to be when Pier One was a fun store? If with higher price tags? Pier One sold some great jewelry once upon a time, and seriously funky housewares, but that was a century ago.

12. Ownedbybear

Different Anthropologie business model in the US. Here, they're a decent costume retailer as well, and tend to be in higher end locations. Regent Street and Selfridges, for example. Not volume stuff.

https://www.anthropologie.com/en-gb/jewellery

chantaljones, judy and Phaik Hooi like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Apologies. Definitely the old one person’s junk is another’s treasure and I say that with respect but admittedly I don’t understand that stuff. I think our stores are pretty similar.

IMO it was always higher end than Pier One but still nothing of real quality. That bracelet is a perfect example and it’s great looking IMO from afar only.

I go in the store every few months for a fun peek but rarely buy anything other than candles. Anthropologie is eye candy, but for me, only from a distance.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    chantaljones and judy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Hey, I feel the same way about Pandora, don't apologise. ;)

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree on Pandora too. I don’t understand the concept of any of that stuff. In my mind it’s all throwing money down the drain and exactly the kind of stuff that shows up at yard sales.

chantaljones, all_fakes and kyratango like this.
  16. evelyb30

The bloom is off that rose as far as selling is concerned too. The fad is over. People wasted a goshawful pile of money on those "collectible" charms that aren't. They were beanie babies with melt weight.

chantaljones and kyratango like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Who was the first one? Maybe early 90s?I have an anklet somewhere. They were addable little stainless rectangles with bits of gold and stones. Totally overpriced nonpresent I was given as I had to add to it lol.

chantaljones and kyratango like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I went to a mall after X-mas.....only one store had a line up ....Pandora
    up to 50% off....they were only letting 10 in at a time.....
    went back a couple of days later...... the store was over flowing....full with folks out the door......my SIL waited well over an hour to get served....
    Her bracelet was broken, so she needed it fixed.....they gave her a $100 bracelet ...FREE..... she bought one silver and two glass charms..

Now I don't understand the appeal ...but it does look good on her filled up with glass and silver charms !

chantaljones, Kimbert and kyratango like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think they are “cute” but they’re definitely in the “Beanie Baby” category for me. I remembered the brand of the one I own-I should look for it. Nomination. I liked it as an anklet but what a ridiculous amount of money was spent on it by friends and I added to it also. Gotta be in a drawer somewhere.

chantaljones, Kimbert and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted