Help with Silver Buckle Made in Mexico

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Joan, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I found this buckle for $1.98 at a thrift store today and am trying to determine if it's actually sterling silver (there's a gold wash over the eagle, Aztec calendar and warriors). From my research so far I've learned that the two figures represent Aztec Eagle Warriors, but I'm wondering if they represent specific historical figures. The buckle is stamped 925 and Made in Mexico, but the test with 18K gold acid is questionable. The part of the buckle that clips to a belt is not silver (it sticks to a magnet, so I didn't test that part).

MexicanSilverBuckle-1.jpg MexicanSilverBuckle-2.jpg MexicanSilverBuckle-3.jpg MexicanSilverBuckle-4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think they're generic warriors. History hasn't preserved the names of very many individuals from the Aztec period.

Debora

Figtree3, Boland and Joan like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you Debora.

4. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Xipe Totec god of fertility and sacrifice?

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Pretty good find for under two $

Joan likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That acid test doesn't look good to me. Try again with a known piece of silver side by side. Maybe try a known piece of silver plate as well to see how that looks.

Figtree3 and Joan like this.
  7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you Marie....I did try a silver bracelet marked 925 and the scrape marks dissolved completely with 18k acid. I also used the same acid on 90% silver earrings a few days ago and the scrapes turned kind of milky-bluish. I don't know what to think at this point....will probably try the buckle again tomorrow.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think yours is a belt buckle designed for the Mexican domestic or expat market. Wouldn't surprise me if not silver.

Debora

9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that too, maybe plated because it was really tarnished and polished like silver. When we lived in San Diego many years ago, I bought a turquoise ring in Tijuana marked 925 or sterling, but it turned out not to be, so I'm always a little leary of Mexican jewelry. marked 925 or sterling.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The test result on the bracelet marked 925 indicates that it is not silver and is a fraudulent mark, where is it marked? If on the clasp maybe the clasp is a replacement.

The test result on the earrings is what you want to see.

11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

The mark is on the loop that looks like an original part of the buckle. I tested that part too, but it didn't seem to test as silver. I'm wondering if the non-plated clip/clasp might have been added later since a leather belt that has a snap on one end could be attached directly to the loop. I tried bending the little teeth up on the clasp so I could remove it, but they didn't budge. On the other hand, it doesn't show when the other end of the belt slides through the buckle. The buckle is the type I usually see with belts made of cotton webbing (like military style).

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted