Help with Silverplate maker name

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

hi again everyone. I bought a pair of large candelabras which I’m sure are Silverplate but I was hoping someone can help me find the maker. Here’s the mark, sorry I can’t get a photo of the set until later tonight. 977EB691-0176-4AC1-ADD6-DC4524805C8C.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sandra, judy and blooey like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you bakersgma, that gives me something to work with for research of value. Price was $30 for two matching large candelabras. Probably has some of the plating worn off but overall they look nice.

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Is the black stuff on the bottom felt that was too stuck to come off or tarnish?

judy likes this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I’m not quite sure yet. It appears like nasty crud in the well that the top joint of the candelabra rests in.

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

You ARE going to post again? :)

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I might do a “restoration post” because I’ll probably use a liquid silver solution on the worn spots, something I’ve done before with damaged plate.

9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew, but for $30, it was too pretty for me to leave in the store. They are 21" tall, silver plate obviously, but I want to try to bring them back to looking pretty:

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2287.JPG IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2291.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Much too pretty. Even as is!

Please explain "liquid silver solution?"

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It worked well for an item that had lost it's plate. It seems to work well for nickel silver, but doesn't appear to adhere well to silver over copper. Most of this item unfortunately appears to be silver over copper so the stuff I used previously probably won't help. I'm going to look through my options....if only I knew how to electroplate in my basement ;)

12. Bakersgma

Did you clean it thoroughly first? Removing gunk is always important to efficient polishing and should be the first step in applying liquid silver too.

Draft saved Draft deleted