Featured Help with sold engravings.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I hit post instead of upload. Here are more close-ups out of the frame.

P1360334psr.jpg
    P136033psrs.jpg
    P1360335psrs.jpg
    P1360336psrs.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's certainly a laid paper texture. Machine made papers can be given that texture (I have some here), but I can't see someone reproducing a picture for decorative purposes going to the lengths of reproducing the texture.

With hand-made laid paper, pulp tended to pile up around the vertical chains, which made the paper slightly thicker there. That effect does not occur with machine made paper.

Here's what I mean on a reliably 18thC piece of laid paper:
    Print Engraving Lord Herbert of Chirbury by Anthony Walker after Isaac Oliver 1764 -z.jpg

But that can be a very subtle effect.

This is also reliably 18thC, but I don't see the effect here:
    Dscn0714.jpg
    (The watermark you see is called the Strasbourg Lily.)

antidiem and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It's possible that these decorator pieces could be old book plates or prints. Years ago when I was selling at flea markets, I met someone that purchased old prints, books and paper. He traveled a lot and did a lot of buying in Europe. He matted and/or framed the old prints and book plates and sold these at flea markets and antique shows. (before ebay).

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

You are right.

Here I disagree. Laid paper is made and used for prints until today. It is not that much more expensive and can be machine made.

I think its quite often used especially in decorative prints because it gives them a more exclusive look. Today its also used in books as endpaper.
    And I have a cheap mass produced Vesalius book from Budapest 1968 that is printed completely on laid paper with a watermark. (see picture below)
    We can assume that anything printed on wove paper is not before 1750 and anything printed on wood pulp paper is not before 1850, but it does not work the other way round.

Attached Files:

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes we all do know that laid paper is still being made today, thanks. I cannot comment on the rest of your thoughtful post, McAdder, because I don't quite understand it. This is my own shortcoming, not yours..

6. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

English is not my first language, please ask if I write nonsense, I will try to clarify.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted