Help with some kind of teapot(?)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Uthmanscott, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Uthmanscott

Uthmanscott New Member

pot.jpg I picked this up at a little antique shop. The lady didn't know much about it, but we thought it was cool. It's got me corn-fused! It's not magnetic and by the condition it looks like it was under water? Picked it up in Cape Cod.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Shang ritual vessel, presumably a replica or a fantasy creation thereof.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. Uthmanscott

Uthmanscott New Member

Dude...youre amazing. I assumed it was a replica, but on the off chance it's not. Is there dead giveaways that say it's a recreation? Thanks

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

When it is trying too hard to look old, this one is trying extremely hard. When the verdigris, that green patina, is too rough and too uniform in colour. When it is not entirely consistent with the style. When the weight and manufacturing technique aren't right.
    It is extremely rare to find genuine Shang bronzes. Most 'Shang' is made in the style of, just because it is beautiful. This one was made to deceive, a product of the fakes market.
    If a genuine Shang bronze were to turn up in a little antique shop, the owner would rush to sell it through one of the big international auction houses.
    Here you can see natural aging on Shang bronzes:
    https://nordonart.wordpress.com/201...ing-asia-week-part-3-archaic-chinese-bronzes/
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...hinese-ceramics-works-art-l15210/lot.103.html

lloyd249 and judy like this.
  6. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Too cute is another red flag. That bird beak seems to be squawking "Buy Me!" to a foreign tourist. And there weren't many foreign tourists in Shang China.

tie.dye.cat and judy like this.
  7. Uthmanscott

Uthmanscott New Member

Lol...That's what I thought. We didn't buy in hopes it was a hidden treasure, but because we always try to buy some unusual "antigue...ish" item on vacation. Thanks for the help.

Any Jewelry likes this.