Help with Sterling Tongs

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Danijela Pope, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Danijela Pope

Danijela Pope Vintage Antique Addict

Hello friends, These little tongs were part of my mother in law's estate, she lived to be 98. I am trying to research these tongs, and having a hard time referencing the pattern, age and such. I don't see any markings except the cursive letters at the top, RD...as well the base of them is wider than what google has been able to bring up in sugar cube tongs, antique or vintage. They were with other sterling flatware, yet no other with this pattern. They are sterling, as the slight tarnish on them, which I will clean and polish, which I am not a huge fan of....appreciate you taking the time and hopefully pointing me in the right direction...

IMG_3800 copy.jpeg IMG_3802 copy.jpeg IMG_3803 copy.jpeg IMG_3805 copy.jpeg IMG_3808 copy.jpeg

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty asparagus tongs! No marking inside? Not even partial?

3. Danijela Pope

Nothing I can see, I might have to clean and polish in hope to find something

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

The cursive letters are some previous owner's monogram. Did she leave you any other sterling flatware? Even if those are not the same pattern as this one, you might want to make a list of the makers so we can check the patterns made by them. I have noticed in my own family's flatware, that the same makers come up over and over again.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Initials inside the tongs...Old English...looks like it says "BMN".....can you see them?? OOOPS....looks like @Bakersgma answered before I got to post after editing!!! NO, WAIT....she's referring to CURSIVE on TOP, I'm referring to INSIDE on the edge of the tongs......my reference is from the .PDF attached doc with the image inside!

INITIALS-2.jpg

Danijela Pope likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Inside a handle or inside a grabber, @Aquitaine ?

Aquitaine and Danijela Pope like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bakersgma, DOWN inside the end of the tongs themselves.... upside down...NOT the handle.....let me post more of the image....AT LEAST IT looks like BMN to me....

MORE OF TONGS.jpg

Danijela Pope likes this.
  8. Danijela Pope

I will clean them this evening and hopefully something will show up…thank you so much for all the information you have shared so far, and I am in the process of making a list of sterling flatware to see if anything matches and comes up.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Be very gentle when you're cleaning tonight. It shouldn't take too much vigor to see whether that's an actual mark or not.

judy likes this.
  10. Danijela Pope

Bakersgma, unfortunately the dark part was tarnish...I cleaned them and there is nothing of the marking...next step is for me to look through the remaining sterling flatware in hope that patteren shows up on another utensil, knife, fork, etc...

11. Danijela Pope

Here are image... IMG_4177.jpg IMG_4180.jpg IMG_4177.jpg

judy likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

There are no marks at all? If so, why are you sure they're sterling rather than silverplate?

~Cheryl

judy, Bakersgma and Danijela Pope like this.
  13. Danijela Pope

You have a point Cheryl, this was from my mother in laws estate, it came in large cotton bags with flatware, marked silver....I will have to look through the other flatware in hope to match the pattern...A friend of mine who is a silversmith, aslo said she thinks its sterling...Thanks for your reply, it could be that this is silverplate....

judy likes this.