Featured Help with Swedish Mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kstamps5, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Hello,
    I am new on this site and would appreciate help with a large mirror we inherited from inlaws. It was in my mother-in-law's home in the Swedish countryside at least as long as she lived there - she was born in 1925. Measures 92" tall and 38" wide at base.
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    -Karen

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Kstamps5!
    Someone should be along who can help with some info on your beautiful mirror. And congratulations of getting the picture WITHOUT your reflection! :smuggrin:

James Conrad, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Thank you!

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Basic Federal style hall mirror w Art Nouveau touches, very pretty.

5. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Thank you for the info. Does that mean late 19th/early 20th century? I have no experience with antiques. If I were to sell it, how would you recommend going about it and what would price range be? I appreciate any insight!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and welcome to the Forums @Kstamps5!! THAT is one GORGEOUS mirror, in MY opinion!!! Others WILL be along, but lets also see what @verybrad & @James Conrad have to add too!! Pricing can be very touchy and regional, depending on where you are located, for one thing....and its size could be detrimental....but it looks in beautiful condition from what we can see!! I'm afraid if we had it, it would be poking through our ceilings!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

James Conrad, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Thank you Aquitane for your enthusiam for the mirror! I am located in the Seattle area.

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Seattle doesn't sound like a negative to me.....I'm anxious to hear what others have to say!!!

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Are there 2 pieces of glass for the mirror?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't say I see anything Art Nouveau, looks like a Neoclassical pier mirror, would guess early to mid 19th century, the 2-piece mirror fairly common...

~Cheryl

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Karen.

I agree with Cheryl, Neoclassical, early to mid 19th century. No Art Nouveau anywhere, that was a later period anyway.
    Since Karen already said it came from Sweden, it is a bit strange to call the style Federal. Gustavian would be a better name. But Neoclassical is fine, it is the general term for Neoclassical from any country.
    There is special interest for Gustavian, which is lighter and brighter than most other Neoclassical, so it would be worth mentioning that. Here is some info:
    https://www.petitehaus.com/2017/08/what-is-gustavian-style-and-why-i-love.html

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

AJ......the palace looked very familiar in that link, but the name Haga, threw me. As I continued to peruse the photos, they all looked so familiar, so I googled, and sure enough, Haga Palace was once named Drottingholm Palace. I was in that Palace not two weeks ago. It is as lovely as the photos in your link.

The tour for the Palace is still called Drottingholm.

The Royal Palace in Gamla Stan is even more grand.....if possible.

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Karen!

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Judy, I think the interiors of both places are similar and very beautiful, but Drottningholm (the queen's island) is more grand, a true palace, Slott Haga is much smaller.
    Haga used to be called "Drottningens paviljong" (the queen's pavilion), making it confusing. They were built for different queens, Drottningholm was first built in the 16th century, but has seen many changes, Haga was built in the 19th century.
    Drottningholm:
    [​IMG]
    Slott Haga or Drottningens paviljong:
    [​IMG]

16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

AJ! Of course you are correct! Too many Royal Palaces, kings and queens for me to keep track.

Here is my very own photo of Drottingholm....much fancier than Haga Slott.

drottingholm.jpg

17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

But the photo of Haga looks so familiar to me also.

I have to have a conversation with the rest of the family......did we visit the Pavillion also?:(

I wish I had just a smithering of what your brain remembers.....and understands!

Thank you for correcting me.

18. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Yes. Two pieces of glass.

19. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Thank you for the info and link!

20. Kstamps5

Kstamps5 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted