Help with the backstamp and type of Ware required

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tracylou, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Good Morning fellow Antiquers!
    Hopefully someone can help identify this dish. I cannot find a letter N backstamp like it on the net (despite obsessively spending hours looking) I can’t seem to decide what kind of Ware it is (creamware? White salt glazed? moulded?) and I can’t even discern where it comes from to give me a clue as to where to start looking....the only clue really seems to be that the gilded portions feature Roses and thistles so best guess is English. Any help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very pretty.
    I think it is ceramic gift ware sometime after the 1970s, may even be as current as the early 2000s.

Possibly Italian.
    English ware is usually very well marked.

Only my opinion. Nothing to substantiate with.

judy likes this.
  3. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Thank you for your help, I’ll definitely explore that. I must say though that it “feels” old though and the quality is there. It’s annoying but somehow enjoyable when you have a mystery piece isn’t it.

LIbraryLady and judy like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

On first glance I thought old, probably because of the crackled glaze but then there’s no wear to the foot rim so I’m thinking as cluttered.
    In the 70s/80s there was a market here in UK for ceramics that looked antique, saw lots of Victorian repro jug and bowl sets etc.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There's two things that make me think that.
    The way the rim is done and the fact that the bottom of the rim is also glazed.
    The other is the way they have used a raised lace pattern. Sort of Shabby Chic.

Houseful likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The N backstamp is no help I'm afraid. Just a tracking code used at the factory, most likely for quality control purposes.
    Don

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That white pottery is very typical of Italy. I think a bit earlier, 1950s ish.

Draft saved Draft deleted