Featured Help with this little picture!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HippAntiques, Nov 24, 2020.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

We found a whole bunch of those old Silhouette pictures in my Mother-in-law's things. But, in with all of those was this cute little picture. I'd like to research what it's worth, but I have no clue where to start, because I don't know what it is. Is there a term for these? Anyone know how old it is? The dress is kind of iridescent, and changes color in different angles. I don't see any markings on it at all. The frame is wood. It measures 4 in X 4 in.

I'm trying to decide whether to hang it somewhere, or sell it. But, I don't know anything about it. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks! IMG_4856.jpg IMG_4857.jpg IMG_4858.jpg

patd8643, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

While the figures are shown in silhouette, those wouldn't be considered true silhouettes. They appear to be reverse glass paintings from the early 20th century. Here's an example of a true silhouette from roughly the same period.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 9.35.08 AM.png

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. HippAntiques

Yeah, I know THIS one isn't a Silhouette pic, but it was in with a whole bunch of actual Silhouette pics. This one was different, so I was wondering what it is. So, it's a reverse glass painting? Thanks!

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Reverse painted glass, agreed. I think those may be a little later, looking at the backs. This went on here into the 50s.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies. I didn't read your post carefully enough. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd think yours dated to the 1910s-1920s.

Debora

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

My granny had some of these, the "iridescent" parts of the pictures are made of what we used to call "silver paper" (foil), placed behind the open areas.

judy, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. HippAntiques

No worries! I'm actually excited to look through all of the silhouettes. I haven't unwrapped them all yet, but there are probably over 20 of them.....

judy, kyratango, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lucky you. I adore silhouettes. Can't wait to see what you share.

Debora

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Might be butterfly wings.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think it's meant to look like morpho butterfly wings, especially since the girls have butterflies on/near their hands, but is some kind of foil, such as blooey described. I have a Stratnoid compact that uses something similar on the lid. The iridescent material is one continuous piece, not many little ones.

[​IMG]

judy, Figtree3, kyratango and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted