HELP WITH TODAY'S THRIFT STORE FIND - PESSOA SADDLE FROM FRANCE; TYPE? AGE? REAL?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 14, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday along with the venetian mirror I posted yesterday asking for info on (AND I paid more than double ($125) than I paid for the mirror!).
    I bought it because when I googled Pessoa saddle I saw prices from $500 - to over $1,000; and that includes the sold prices on ebay!
    But I have a few questions & I'm hoping there is someone here who will know the answers (like always!) - Is this a Pessoa saddle? (the writing on the side flap (where your calf would go) and branded or marked inside that flap, looks different than the labels/marks I found)

ALSO(!) - these were 2 saddles that sold on eBay for only $271 & $81 (both were auctions instead of Buy It Now like the other Pessoa saddles that sold for several hundreds of dollars more) except they were made by a N. Pessoa and Nelson Pessoa - mine looks like it may have a N in front of the name? What is the difference between Nelson Pessoa & a reg Pessoa saddle?)

What type of saddle is it? (I know it's a english saddle; but is it a jumping saddle or a hunting saddle or a racing saddle, or a show saddle, etc...?)

It looks "like new" to me, but the wear on the flaps where the stirrup's leather ties rubbed against it show wear & suggest age - any way to tell how old/new it is?

Finally there is a brass tag under the brass name tag on the back of the saddle with (I'm guessing) the last owner's name. It looks like it's held in place by 2 little screws - can I just unscrew them to remove it? Any idea where I can get a blank brass tag that small? (I'm going to try a local trophy shop but it is really small)

Anything else anyone can tell me about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!

SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 1AA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 1AAA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 2AA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 2AAA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 3AA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 5AA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 6AA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 8AAA.JPG
    SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 9cAA.JPG SPORT SADDLE PASSOA ENGLISH SADDLE 9AAA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My advice is to leave the tag. New buyer can replace or remove as s/he chooses.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nelson Pessoa was an Olympic champion of jumping.

patd8643, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

judy, i need help, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. journeymagazine

If it's Nelson's it's made of calfskin but not from Paris only the ones with suede were made in France.

Is it a jumping saddle ?
    Thanks all

judy likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Something else I noticed - mine doesn't have "pads" or padded area where your knees would grip (like when jumping)? Any idea what kind of saddles don't have the pads?

judy likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and KSW like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you looked carefully for a serial or other number?

Debora

KSW likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It is a popular make of jumping saddle. Would sell in the UK in that condition for around £3-400. It’s had a fair bit of use but they are lovely saddles and well made. I wouldn’t worry about small differences to others you see online as models change all the time. Have a look to see if it’s stamped with the tree width- likely to be under the big flap on the piece of leather covering the girth straps or On the flap of leather under the straps. It may say something like 17.5M which would be a 17.5 inch seat size and a Medium tree width. The tree is the frame the saddle is built on to fit the width of the horse. The brass plate is nothing to worry about, the buyer will change it.
    As long as the tree isn’t broken it should sell well. Those look like Sprenger system 4 type stirrup irons which are expensive too.
    Seat looks quite small so maybe for a small adult or child. Photos are deceiving. Measure it in inches from one of the front studs that say Pessoa Paris to the centre of the cantle which is the raised bit at the back.

11. journeymagazine

I did - 16" I'll look for mark/number
    Thanks!

judy likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Serial number here
    AC935CC3-F6AF-45ED-A257-DE67127A06C9.jpeg

Lucille.b, i need help and judy like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

16” is a child’s size pony saddle. Kids are 14-16.5” and adults 17-18”
    Still should sell well.

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

P.s I’ve just seen your eBay listing. I think I’d clean the saddle to make it look cared for. I’d get some glycerine saddle soap which is very cheap and give it a wipe over. Give it a wipe with a damp (not wet) cloth to start just to get the dirt off and then rub the damp cloth onto the saddle soap and rub it all over the leather. If your sponge is too wet it will foam up which you don’t want.

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you, @KSW for your expertise!

judy, patd8643, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou INH :kiss:At last a question that I can answer rather than ask :happy:. I only wish I could find a Pessoa saddle in a charity shop in this country!!

17. journeymagazine

Where do I find glycerine soap?

judy likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Do you have a tack shop near you? If not Google "tack shop glycerine soap" or you will get glycerine hand soap

KSW and kyratango like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Something like this. I’m not sure what the US equivalent product is!.
    839A7E48-4468-41E5-B6B1-98351814B154.jpeg

judy and kyratango like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Find someone who has a horse and borrow some!:hilarious:

judy, kyratango and anundverkaufen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted