Featured Help with Vintage Christmas Ornaments - Cali-Col? Other questions.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I decided that this would be the year that I sold off my rather large inventory of vintage Christmas ornaments. So far I've only sold 2 boxes.
    I spend way too much times organizing, etc.
    It's easy when you have a set with the original box, but I have spent lots of time matching and putting together sets.
    I also plan on selling big lots of plain balls. Has anyone done that? Is it worth it? Do you send the boxes too?

Anyway - I recently got these smaller ornaments. They are nice, but half of them have these flat round caps that say CALI COL on them. I've never heard of CALI COL, and couldn't find anything about them. It looks to me like the caps were just randomly stuck on the ornaments anyway - most of them don't fit - either way too big, or too small. The others have Japan caps on them.
    The ornaments look Polish or German to me. What do you think? And if you agree that the caps are wrong, is it worth taking them off and replacing them with something more appropriate?

DSCN6133.JPG

DSCN6128.JPG

DSCN6130.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice! I have some of these but yours look very nice!
    There are some on ETSY and eBidet but no idea on manufacturer.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I never throw away the hangers or the caps from broken ornaments & have been known to scavenge them from trash at the auction house I work at/go to all the time. If you have ones that would fit better than these & would be appropriate to the ornament I would use them. As long as there are clear photos of the marks on the caps & you sell them as is because most vintage ornaments have some discoloration / loss of design there should not be any issues. JMHO

Peggy

4. Bookahtoo

Thank you King!!

Thanks Peggy. I should probably just do that and quit worrying about it. Have you heard of Cali-Col?

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I know nothing about Cali Col, but have seen many ornaments listed on eBay and elsewhere with that name as the manufacturer

silvia, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Mansons2005

I wonder if the name has anything to do with Cali, Columbia? I know that there are some big German settlements in Columbia but.................

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. Mansons2005

Many Colombians of German heritage arrived in Colombia via Venezuela, where 19th-century German settlements have existed. They traditionally settled as farmers or professional workers in the states of Boyacá and Santander, but also in Cali, Bogotá and Barranquilla.

KingofThings and bobsyouruncle like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

California Collectibles would be my guess. Just don't ask me to prove it.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Never heard of it...

The Cali Columbia thing isn't panning out for me either, Mansons, but it makes some sense. Thanks.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

I had that show up too but didn't see a connection.

11. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

I think Peggy is right on. I know those indents you have are highly desirable. I've got a little collection going myself, just haven't sorted and put them up yet.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Mansons2005

If you search eBay for "christmas ornament columbia" you will get 216 returns of glass ornaments. SO far none marked Cali Col, but some marked Columbia

KingofThings likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't see cali....i see CA-N...or CAW.....

KingofThings likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The following on eBay are marked Cali Col on the caps.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cali+col+xmas+ornaments&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=38654-8799&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

I thougth the following ornament actually marked Cali-Col on the ornament, peacock, was interesting. The seller thinks it was designed by a Ken Edwards, a noted pottery stoneware designer in Tonala, Mexico.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EL-PALOMAR-...RE-/252612579903?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

https://ken-edwards-pottery.myshopify.com/

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Bookahtoo

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that these all have the wrong caps on, are not a set, were made at different times, and in more than one country. :D

KingofThings likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In other words, pretty standard.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Dale

Dale New Member

I just purchased two boxed of old ornies today. Got home and most of them are marked Cali Col. But, what I found interesting is that they were both in boxes marked: Jolly Holly. Made in Columbia S.A. for Caramoor Products New York , New York 10010. there was no UPC, so definitely before 1974.

19. KingofThings

Well welcome!
    Not gonna show us????
    :p

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But post 1963 with the Zip Code.

Draft saved Draft deleted