Help with vintage plastic jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Vic23, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Hi everyone! I just recently got into collecting vintage jewelry made of early plastic. I especially love bangles, and some necklaces.
    I am very happy to have found this group, there are so many things I have learnt already in the past couple days.

Due to the pandemic I can only order from online now, and it is more difficult to evaluate the date and material for a bangle based on a photo for anyone, but especially for a beginner like me. After a few day search I found these 3 bangles interesting, and I think the first two might be bakelite and maybe the third a lucite one? I know its nearly impossible to tell without testing, but maybe someone who already is very knowledgeable about vintage plastic jewelry can still make a more accurate bet. I think they are all pretty, but don't want to buy something which is contemporary or absolutely has no collection value.

Thanks if you can give me an opinion!

Vicky

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi Vicky, Please can you edit your photos? Click edit and ‘full image’ down by the photos, save changes and they should show up full size. Thankyou :)
    (You may need to click other options)

judy, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  3. Vic23

Vic23 Member

4. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Thanks! Done! :)

Lucille.b, i need help and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Well done, don’t worry, most people struggle with posting photos on here to begin with. Hopefully someone who can help with the bangles will be along in a bit.

Debora, Vic23, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What do the sellers say about the 3 bangles?

KSW likes this.
  7. Vic23

Vic23 Member

That they are made of some kind of plastic. The seller of the red and bright yellow one says they are very heavy. The seller of the second yellowish bangle says it looks like amber to her in real life, but she is not sure. Other than these they don't know a lot about them.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Where I live it is not very common that people are interested in bakelite jewelry, so most sellers (or at least the majority) also don't really pay attention to vintage plastics.

9. Vic23

Vic23 Member

The reddish one is supposed to be 80g (2.821917oz).

10. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I love the yellow one.

The first one is really hard to tell as the picture is grainy, out of focus, and over exposed.

The second one I thought might be bakelite, but then after enlarging it, I'm not so sure.

The third one isn't bakelite which you've already deduced.

Edit: Here's a bangle very similar to your second one that says it passed the simichrome test, so maybe yours is too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Butterscotch-Bakelite-Bangle-Bracelet-/324395866429

jkj.PNG

Figtree3 and Vic23 like this.
  11. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Thanks! Ill decide and buy a few soon, and will share later how they turned out after testing them at home. :)
    Do you think the third (yellow) one is vintage though? I like it`s color very much. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted