Featured Help with Weaving, Native American?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by MrNate, Dec 14, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Greetings all,

I'm usually on the silver forum, but came across this weaving today and decided it was pretty enough to take a gamble on. Can anyone help me with origin or time period? This is really not my specialty, so any assistance would be great:

IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1870.JPG IMG_1871.JPG

singing, Figtree3, lovewrens and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those are the 'Bremer Stadtmusikanten', Bremen Town Musicians, from an old fairy tale collected by the brothers Grimm. So my guess is 1960s Germany.

Edited: Maybe Polish, the style and colours?

Statue in Bremen, northern Germany:

upload_2021-12-14_16-4-10.png

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    singing, Figtree3, lovewrens and 15 others like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Any Jewelry! I was definitely looking in the wrong places to identify this!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Having trouble saying this was a weaving since there is evidence of the colored thread from the back. Don't know what else to call it, though.

judy and dude like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well, the donkey looks like a horse, the dog looks like a pony, and the cat looks like a dog ....... At least the rooster looks like a rooster. Other than that, a nice rendition of the story. I like it!

A tapestry weave, with interlocking weft.

Figtree3, judy, Potteryplease and 7 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation!

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just might add, the first "rule" of rug identification is, if it is woven with fringe on both ends, it cannot be Native American Indian.

The Navajo are the only U.S. tribe that weaves rugs on looms, with an interlocking tapestry stitch, and they use a unique type of loom and a continuous warping technique, that makes it impossible to to weave a rug with fringe on both ends on a Navajo loom.

Figtree3, Lark, judy and 5 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

:joyful:
    And on the statue the cat looks like a weasel.;)
    To be fair, it represents a hissing cat with its ears laid back. An essential part of the story, because the cat played its part in chasing robbers off.
    The cat-dog on the wall hanging just looks cute, not menacing.
    The dog and the cat both remind me of Dalarna horses.:)

judy, dude, reader and 2 others like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree as always Taupou but we wouldn’t want anyone to pass up a Germantown at a price which may have fringe on both ends although it’s added after the piece is woven but someone who’s not a Navajo rug person and remembers the no fringe both ends rule might think a genuine collectible piece is fake.

10. Any Jewelry

One of many cases where knowledge helps to spot the good pieces which are still to be found.;)

Pat Dennis, reader and judy like this.
  11. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That's why I specifically said "woven with fringe on both ends." Germantown rugs, and some "Sunday saddle blankets," have fringe added after the textile is woven and removed from the loom. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

I'm afraid the chances of finding an authentic early Germantown rug at a bargain price, is infinitesimal, compared to the number of non-Navajo rugs found. One could easily spend a fortune on those fringed rugs, hoping one is an authentic Germantown. Better to just educate oneself first, as AJ pointed out. And the first thing to be learned is, "if it's woven with fringe on both ends, it's not Navajo or Native American Indian."

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree as I said before but IMO it’s easy for us to assume identification of woven vs. add on is obvious to all where it may not be. Don’t ask how many misidentified rugs I’ve seen at sales over the years and YES I have bought 2 Germantowns from clueless estate sales on the cheap in the last decade.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Nice! When are we going to the next estate sale together??

Any Jewelry, reader and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted