Help with Wedgwood jasperware trim

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gregsglass, Sep 18, 2014.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Is there site where I can id the different trims on my Wedgwood? I have a few like sacrifice and classical trees, sacrifice to cupid, Achillies. The one that really drives me batty is where a winged damsel is tied to a tree. Is it Echo or Psyche or ???? I have about 40 that I can not id.
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, Maybe this book would be of some help?

http://www.amazon.com/Wedgwood-Jasper-Ware-Collectors-Schiffer/dp/0764319264

It says it includes a section on "the classical mythology used for the bas-relief figures" -- But it is hard to tell how extensive that would be.

There are several good sites online about classical mythology that identify the figures. You have probably seen these. Here is one: http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/greek-gods.html

Besides the book in the Amazon link above, I'm not sure if any books or sites include specific identification of what sources have been used for jasperware. (I didn't look at shiloh's links...)

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks Shiloh, I have garnered two Ids from your links.
    Fig, the book sounds like it has a chapter on id'ing the trim. I was going to buy a used copy but they are the same price as new.:rage:
    I guess I'll get my library to find a copy.
    It is strange but the robots must really be working since I got an email from someone who "tracked" my id from ebay offering their "services" to id my jasperware for 5 bucks a crack.:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    greg

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg,

As I librarian I'm happy to see that you mentioned getting your library to find a copy... assuming you are talking about interlibrary loan?

I looked, too, and the least expensive I can find is about $22 plus shipping.

Fig

Draft saved Draft deleted