Help with what a pontil is

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CharlesSabo, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

I googled what a pontil is and take the definition that it is the point where a hand blown glass is broken away at. If there is no pontil or punt scar than it was mold blown. First off am I understanding it right. Most importantly what is typically more valuable, with pontil or without. If anyone can give me insight or point me in a good direction to find out more info. I just want to learn more about what I am looking at when at auctions.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the pontil is not a measure of value.
    there are many good glass blowing video's out there...

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Hand blown objects in general are one offs or small production, moulded stuff is mass produced.

Troble is that moulded stuff from one very popular maker can way outvalue some hand made jobbie from the Unknown Blower.

anundverkaufen and lauragarnet like this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Some pontil scars are fire polished so they're smooth and shiny. You have to learn how to recognize that, too.:peeking:

anundverkaufen likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I guess pontil scars can help with determining the period of production of some antique glass depending on the type of scar, roughness and sharpness, size etc. Or on more recent glass, IDing the maker. Like some never have pontil scars, other always do, third only on certain lines/models.

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Technically a pontile is a metal rod to which a piece of glass is attached so that the worker can heat it enough to manipulate the item into is final shape. The original form can be free blown. mold blown or pressed. When the final shape have been achieved the rod is cracked(broken) off leaving a scar which is commonly rough and shaped like a shallow bowl. This should not be confused with the "cut shut" pigtail often found on molded cruets.

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Let me try. Blown glass is hollow ware worked on the end of a blow pipe. A tumbler can be broken from the blow pipe and finished cold, the top cut and polished without being attached at the foot. It may not have a pontil mark or scar.

A pitcher usually is blown, then transferred to a punty rod, or Pontile, so that the top opening can be formed, lip pulled down, and the handle applied. Once it it formed it it cracked off (broken) from the punty rod, leaving a scar which may be a lump of glass.

Some glass workers prefer to use a spherical grinding stone to grind away the excess glass from the scar, leaving a ground and sometimes polished circular concave mark. Others fire polish the scar so it is no longer sharp, others, leave it sharp.

The presence of a pontil mark is evidence of hand finishing, the absence of one may be evidence of the worker's skill. Fenton Art Glass perfected a method of holding glass that did not leave a scar, yet they made much hand manipulated glass.

As was said above, pressed glass can be finished on a punty rod, leaving a pontil mark, too.

cxgirl and TallCakes like this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Tom glad you chimed in!! Nice to see you around.

9. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

Thanks for all the great info. I have watched a few demonstrations of blown glass which was impressive, but never knew what the pontil was.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's ok.....I used to think it was a ....

-[​IMG]

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:......:inpain:

Draft saved Draft deleted