Help with wooden chest ID before I buy it?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ashley Felton, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

A woman in my neighborhood is saying she has to move and sell everything in her house and I’m interested in this trunk...she claims it’s an antique but i have a feeling it may be one of those items that are MADE TO LOOK antique or “old”. Even if it isn’t I do like it...I just really don’t have the room lol but if it’s worth it I’ll scoop it up ASAP ... D7105DA3-9C50-4BD8-9FF0-44E858B97529.jpeg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Modern, within the last 25 years IMO

Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Chinese camphor chest, a traditional storage chest.
    It is probably the age range Davey said, maybe a few years older. Most have no feet, they needed to be stackable.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like it, too -- but if you already have a crowded house, I'd say only to buy it if you LOVE it and if the price is reasonable.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

From the photos, it doesn’t look as if is trying to be “fake aged” to me. Nice carved chest.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's not even trying to be old; it looks even more recent to me than it did to Davey. If you like it and it's at a price you can live with, go for it.

7. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Possibly Made in Thailand... I have a huge mahogany roll top desk with the same yellow painted hand carved scenes that was supposedly brought home in the late 60's / early 70's from Thailand by an Airforce guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted