Featured Help with WWII Decals/Transfers

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by ascot, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm way out of my comfort zone on these decals or transfers. They look like something that may have been in a hobby shop, maybe to decorate models, though I wonder about the images of Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Chiang Kai Shek, etc. The collie and chicks and butterfly seem out of place.

Any help on use, age, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are transfer tattoos from the 1940/50's " American transfer pictures".

lauragarnet, ascot and KingofThings like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

LOVE THEM!!!!!

lauragarnet and ascot like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

This grouping is 1941 or after.....
    the Thunderbolt was made in 1941.....

6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And Roosevelt died in 1945.

Debora

8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

we used to call these "cockamamies" way back when............the spelling may be cockamamie or cockamamy depending on where you originate

9. Mansons2005

Having NOTHING else to do with my life, I thought I would look for the origins and support for my memory of calling these cockamamies....................and lo and behold, I FOUND it:

Cockamamie
    Pronounced /ˈkɒkəˌmeɪmɪ/[​IMG]

Cockamamie — something ridiculous, incredible or implausible — is an intrinsically funny word, but it’s truly incredible that word historians believe it’s a close relative of decal, a design prepared on special paper for transfer to another surface. (It is instead sometimes said to be Yiddish, but this turns out not to be the case.)

The original of both cockamamie and decal is the French décalcomanie, which was created in the early 1860s to refer to the craze for decorating objects with transfers (it combines décalquer, to transport a tracing, with manie, a mania or craze). The craze, and the word, soon transferred to Britain — it’s recorded in the magazine The Queen on 27 February 1864: “There are few employments for leisure hours which for the past eighteen months have proved either so fashionable or fascinating as decalcomanie”. It reached the United States around 1869 and — to judge from the number of newspaper references in that year — became as wildly popular as it had earlier in France and Britain. The word was quickly Anglicised as decalcomania and in the 1950s it became abbreviated to decal.

The link between decalcomania and cockamamie isn’t proved, but the evidence suggests strongly that children in New York City in the 1930s (or perhaps a decade earlier) converted the one into the other. There was a fashion for self-decoration at that period, using coloured transfers given away with candy and chewing gum. Shelly Winters wrote of cockamamie in The New York Times in 1956 that “This word, translated from the Brooklynese, is the authorized pronunciation of decalcomania. Anyone there who calls a cockamamie a decalcomania is stared at.”

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-coc1.htm

10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mansons! So interesting! I've always loved knowing word origins. Good work--and good memory!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

EXCELLENT!
    Thanks! :)

ascot likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NEATO!!!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

Thanks for the compliment on the research.......and what ever the other compliment was for..................:)

komokwa, ascot and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted